Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books to help children understand

Hi,

We have a child attending the nursery who has selective mutism. Her key person would like to use a few books with the other children to help them understand why the child doesn't talk to them or interact with them whilst they play. There are a few I have found online but I would really like it if anyone is able to recommend any books they have used in the past.

Many thanks

Sarah

personally i would avoid at all costs bringing it to the childrens attention. Selective mutism is an incredibly complex difficulty anything that makes the child appear even more 'unusual' will not help. Could you not just explain carefully that xxx finds it tricky to talk to everyone, this should not effect her ability to play though, all of our children with SM have been able to get themselves involved.

• Like 5

agree with finsleymaid - children tend not to notice/worry when a child doesn't always answer them - if they ask i usually jsut say xxxx is a little bit shy,when she gets to know you a bit more she might chat to you.

found sometimes the child would say words to other child/ren when adult not close or not aware of adult even though not saying anything to any adults

• Like 3

I wouldn't call attention to it either.

In fact, I wouldn't do anything that could make it harder for the child to speak. If everyone is told not to expect her to speak she may feel under pressure to stay silent for fear of people making a fuss if she does speak. She needs everyone to just continue to speak to her as normal without any pressure whatsoever to answer or expectations that she won't answer.

The most I would say if a child asks anything is "xxx isn't ready to talk to us today and that's OK." That will help her to feel free to speak when she feels ready without fear of provoking a reaction.

• Like 3