Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30 hour funding and how to offer it.

pickles37

From the threads I have read it would appear you can opt to limit your 30 hr places and also decide not to offer it at all - put me in a real quandary as I had not realised you could limit places - but if you do how to you decide who gets the places available?

We're having a meeting on monday to discuss whether we will be able to stay open much longer, past July anyway! Being able to offer more funded hours might help us! And I love that we can limit the asmount of places we offer. Thanks, I'm seeing glimmers of hope, albeit through a black fog!

At present you can choose whether or not to offer the 30 hours, whether you will limit the number of places available and whether to limit the number of hours offered.

We're full daycare - 8-6pm, 51 weeks. So firstly it's not 30hrs its 22.25.

I only offer full days, mornings or afternoons.

From September I will be allowing parents to claim the 22.25 hours with us but I am limiting the number of hours they can have to 7.5 on a full day, 3.5 on a morning, 2.5 on an afternoon. That way I can charge my nursery hourly rate for the rest of the session. The funded hours are a 'basic entitlement' only which explains the difference in hourly rate to parents. This limit to the number of hours claimable means that some parents will not be able to spend all their hours with me, but they can use them at another setting.

It is up to the local authority to make sure that there are sufficient places for children, not up to me to provide them - If parents want a 'free' government place then they will be able to access this at a playgroup of term-time provision. If they want it with me then I will offer it between 1pm and 4pm.

I know this all sound quite harsh, but I am a business and most people accessing my nursery are parents who are with me for well over 22.25hrs per week, so any money off their childcare by the government is a bonus rather than them getting 'free childcare' paid for by me!

As long as I can offer some place 'free' this is ok, the rest is my business!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have my trustees meeting tonight (if i dont get blown away!) i have asked my lea several questions they have stated that 'there appears to be a generally positive opinion on offering 30 hours!!' our option of session/lunch/session cannot be confirmed as they don't have that information from the government yet and they suggest we don't limit our number of 30 hour funded places (well they wouldn't would they!)

'tis all in my humble opinion a complete and utter c**k up - I honestly think this is the worst thought out scheme ever :ph34r:

agreed! i explained it to our photographer on wednesday...she couldn't quite belive her ears!

We have decided to offer a small amount of spaces ...and will keep this flexible so if we need to change we will but as i have to have 83% occupancy to make any money at the moment we need to be really careful that we are working out our figures accurately

• Like 1

I think they're telling porkies - they can tell us that there is a good response to take up, how do we really know that, then if we believe it, we feel we should have to do it too to keep our heads above water.

I'm certainly not for drowning, but I'm not accepting all that the sneaky pete's are saying.

• Like 1

I am really worried I am missing something major - and in fear of sounding stupid hope you can help - we currently receive £3.68 /hr and I charge £4 for additional hours. Our new funding is set to be around £4/hr - poss £4.10 - I can only see that I am in fact going to be better off as I will be getting 32p/hr extra for all the funded children. I am also putting up my additional hours to £4.50/hr. What am I missing?

• Like 1

I am really worried I am missing something major - and in fear of sounding stupid hope you can help - we currently receive £3.68 /hr and I charge £4 for additional hours. Our new funding is set to be around £4/hr - poss £4.10 - I can only see that I am in fact going to be better off as I will be getting 32p/hr extra for all the funded children. I am also putting up my additional hours to £4.50/hr. What am I missing?

Forget what you charge or may charge...what do you NEED to charge ?????? you need to work out your income (based on no more than 80% occupancy at your funded rate...then take off all your expenses and take in to account a 6% net profit what are you left with?? over the next three years there will be NO increase in funding can you afford projected increases in wages and pensions??

How do you charge parents?? is this going to be possible when you have to give 30 hours"free" (bearing in mind the government are suggesting that you Have to give 30 hours without charging!

You will be taking a financial hit if children are paying £4,50 but every funded child is only paying £4 that's potentially a loss of £3 per day (£15 per week ...£570 per child per year times X amount of children per year!)

• Like 5

From my point of view as a childminder I can only see more funded hours as a good thing, for me and for parents. The offered rate is a little less than I charge new parents, but I do offer more flexibility than other settings which makes my remaining limited places difficult to fill. If it means I can encourage parents to keep their child with me for 30 hours rather than 15 then that's a good increase in pay for me. Historically parents have limited their work to limit fees until their children start school - many of my parents are able to do so - I wish I could too.

From my point of view as a childminder I can only see more funded hours as a good thing, for me and for parents. The offered rate is a little less than I charge new parents, but I do offer more flexibility than other settings which makes my remaining limited places difficult to fill. If it means I can encourage parents to keep their child with me for 30 hours rather than 15 then that's a good increase in pay for me. Historically parents have limited their work to limit fees until their children start school - many of my parents are able to do so - I wish I could too.

That's really good Honey :1b

i see it as a married couple must both be earning a minimum of what the equivalent of 16hrs @ min wage would equate to, approx £115 a week i think (or a single parent the same) but they could be very high earners in theory and earn £115 an hour but only work 1 hour a week and would qualify.

then there are the other reasons for qualifying like on mat leave, carers allowance etc...

• Like 2

i see it as a married couple must both be earning a minimum of what the equivalent of 16hrs @ min wage would equate to, approx £115 a week i think (or a single parent the same) but they could be very high earners in theory and earn £115 an hour but only work 1 hour a week and would qualify.

then there are the other reasons for qualifying like on mat leave, carers allowance etc...

depends on age too as to what the minimum wage is!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)