Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

help for degree theory/theorists sheet

hi everybody, can anybody help me with this sheet?

Theorists prep task(1).docx

Theory/theorist

Focus of theory

Area of development

Implication for practice

Lesley Abbott

Social-constructivist

Experiential learning

Holistic – but predominantly PSED

Engages children in first hand experiences which can increase their awareness and understanding and so promote learning in a familiar relaxed environment.

Urie Bronfenbrenner

Social- contructivist

Ecological Theory/enviroment

Tina Bruce

Rudolph Steiner

Peter Elfer

Yes.

You need to visit the library - then go through each theorist read up the main points and make notes. :1b

I'm not being sarcastic, but at degree level you should be able to research a subject in depth and then be able to form your own thoughts on a subject.

There are some really good books on theorists, or you could just use the internet - but check the sites are good solid ones.

Trust me it will be worth it the long term although it might not seem it now.

Louby I agree. Heidi I promise you will benefit from doing a bit of research yourself. Happy to fill in some blanks after you have read a bit. A few yesrs ago when I did my degree there was a book by Linda Pound - well 3 books actually but it was very easy to read. Good place to start.

• Like 1

Louby I agree. Heidi I promise you will benefit from doing a bit of research yourself. Happy to fill in some blanks after you have read a bit. A few yesrs ago when I did my degree there was a book by Linda Pound - well 3 books actually but it was very easy to read. Good place to start.

This is one of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Children-Learn-Montessori-Educational/dp/1904575099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485213697&sr=8-1&keywords=linda+pound

Theory/theorist

Focus of theory

Area of development

Implication for practice

Lesley Abbott

Social-constructivist

Experiential learning

Holistic – but predominantly PSED

Engages children in first hand experiences which can increase their awareness and understanding and so promote learning in a familiar relaxed environment.

Urie Bronfenbrenner

Social- constructivist

Ecological Theory/environment

Social development

Understanding of the families and their formation/a caring and sensitive side towards children and families

Tina Bruce

Social- constructivist

Play/ free flow/learning through play

Cognitive/social/

Physical/language

Provide children with natural opportunities to engage in concrete meaningful

Activities that enhance development.

Enabling environment that allows a free flow play. Provide them with first hand experiences. schemas

Rudolph Steiner

Peter Elfer

Attachment Theory and Key person approach

Emotional

Ensure every child has a Key person who is sensitive; caring has warmth and time to give when the child needs. Home visits, settling in periods, builds an attachment over time so the child feels safe and secure.

Dorothy Selleck

Bonding and Attachment

Emotional

Ensure every child has a Key person who is sensitive; caring has warmth and time to give when the child needs. Home visits, builds an attachment over time so the child feels safe and secure.

Theory/theorist

Focus of theory

Area of development

Implication for practice

Carol Dweck

Lilian Katz

Jean Piaget

Cognitive/Social

FerreLaevers

Steven Pinker

ColwynTrevarthen

MargyWhalley

Lev Vygotsky

Cognitive/Language

Social

MihalyCsikszentmihalyi

Abraham Maslow

Theory/theorist

Focus of theory

Area of development

Implication for practice

John Bowlby

Attachment Theory

Emotional

Building secure attachments with child and key person/looking at the attachments the child has with family and their emotional wellbeing /security

Noam Chomsky

John Dewey

Chris Athey

Loris Malaguzzi

Alison Clarke

Mary Ainsworth

Attachment Theory/strange situation/Mother of attachment theory

Emotional

/behavioural

Building secure attachments with child and key person/looking at the attachments the child has with family and their emotional wellbeing /security

ElinorGoldschmied

Jerome Bruner

Theory/theorist

Focus of theory

Area of development

Implication for practice

Alfred Bandura

Social learning Theory/social cognitive theory

Social

Role modelling/Scaffolding

Learning, positive reinforcement.

I am getting there slowly have managed eight tonight!

Well done! It's a good start :1b

It is hard I agree, but it will be worth it in the end. The books suggested by LKey and Upsy are very good and simple to digest if you can get hold of them. I had one of those and another by someone called 'Moonie' (I think!) which I found useful too.

In all honesty, since it's an informal task and you only need some basic information, I would probably just look on Wikipedia. It will be much quicker and give you all the basics, from which you can go into more depth in the future when you want or need to. Use the grid as a sort of reference frame in the future, giving you an idea of what to look for in future assignments ... for example, if you're ever interested in or required to find out about language acquisition and language development, you'll see from your completed list that Chomsky is a pioneer in the field and you should look at his works

• Like 2

Johnson, Nahmad-Williams do a fab book think its 2008 - seems so long ago now that I looked at it, but they do a short paragraph on many of the theorists mentioned above in very easy to read/understand language. Very helpful to refer back to!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)