Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wildlife in the garden ... no Racer snakes allowed

Rea

I wanted to share these photos, the Robin is fairly easy to photograph, he comes twice a day and sometimes sings to me :1b :1b but the Wren is so quick I've struggled to get her, but finally, after having a bird table for Christmas I managed to do it.

The cats are eating the cheese I put out, I'll be having words!! :angry:

post-3139-0-91448600-1482924194_thumb.jpg

post-3139-0-35833500-1482924232_thumb.jpg

post-3139-0-60841300-1482924347_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mr bullfinch is back here, he's not been about for a month or two, he is generally followed after a week or so by Mrs bullfinch and then they visit together.

We've a lot of bluetits, coaltits and great tits but no 'badger-faced lollipop birds' (long-tailed tits) so far this year. The nuthatch visits a lot and we've had a field fare, but only the one.

There's four squirrels who regularly visit, one became naked a month ago - very odd to see, and jolly chilly he/she must have been! It was furring up nicely but we've noticed its back is naked again. Must be some kind of mange I guess, poor thing. The others seem to be fine though.

(I do miss my red squirrels though :( )

I wanted to share these photos, the Robin is fairly easy to photograph, he comes twice a day and sometimes sings to me :1b :1b but the Wren is so quick I've struggled to get her, but finally, after having a bird table for Christmas I managed to do it.

The cats are eating the cheese I put out, I'll be having words!! :angry:

However, Rea, they will probably deal with the other little visitors you wont want to be having!

Everytime we feed the birds at nursery, either rats or mice turn up. The children love to watch the rats on the bird feeder - the children are indoors, I hasten to add a this point, but once the rats know there is food in there, that's it, we have to give it up. But with these cats on the prowl, you may be a lot better off than we are.

Our cats gave up fetching mice or rats home long ago. Lazy, good for nothing except sleeping creatures and good for knocking the christmas tree over.

Cait, we only seem to get a few types of bird. the neighbour used to get a variety of tits but this year I havent noticed any :(

This is the first year I've fed them properly, I didnt want to tempt the cats.

This just flew over the garden, chased by 3 screaming seagulls.

post-3139-0-99241100-1483091756_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can see a forum garden bird watch starting. We have the usual blue tits, great tits, blackbirds, Robins, dunnock, wrens, gold finch, occasional green finch, sometimes tree creeper. We don't see any house sparrows sadly. We seem to have a resident pheasant at the moment. He makes lots of noise, especially when the sound of shooting can be heard at the nearby estate. A sparrowhawk makes regular flypast of the bird table and feeders.

• Like 1

We have a beautiful jay who visits daily - really impressive. He/she scurries about in our ivy which is on our wall - I'm guessing lots of tasty treats in their.Coexists happily with our squirrels! Other birds here (right on the far south coast 250m from the sea) are wood pigeons, Mr and Mrs blackbird (been coming for years) and blooming mahoosive gulls which argue with each other from the rooftops - there is a fishing harbour/port at the end of our road and you can always tell when the trawlers are in as the birds go nuts and then it's eerily quiet!

• Like 1

A sparrowhawk caught a pigeon a few months ago, crashed into the neighbours guttering and landed the side of the road. The pigeon got away when one of our cats walked round the corner.

Its the most beautiful bird (not the pigeon) ;)

post-3139-0-63190400-1483112711_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I am hanging my head in shame! I would not be able to identify half the animals you have mentioned. Perhaps I'll add that to my new years resolutions. Learn difference between blue title and black bird.

Here's the blackbird for you :1b

He and Mrs blackbird are very timid, so this is through my considerably dirty kitchen window :ph34r: ::1a

post-3139-0-07188200-1483368991_thumb.jpg

Its a Canon sx510hs mundia.

I've had it 2 years and I'm still far from understanding all the settings, but the basics are pretty simple.

I love taking photos, my aim is to like everything I take, but I've a long way to go before that happens

https://youpic.com/photographer/dillydolly4/

This is where I put my favourite photos

• Like 2

Rea - they are lovely! I especially like the robin one right at the top.

It's on my things to do when I retire list. ..to learn how to properly take photos.

I would love to be able to do this too. My sister-in-law is brilliant at it and even her 'ordinary baby photos' look wonderful!

It's on my things to do when I retire list. ..to learn how to properly take photos.

Rea - they are lovely! I especially like the robin one right at the top.

I would love to be able to do this too. My sister-in-law is brilliant at it and even her 'ordinary baby photos' look wonderful!

Thank you ☺☺

The best tip I was given is to photograph things you love, landscapes, architecture, people, shadows...anything that catches your eye. You'll pick up the light, angles and positioning by trial and error. But above all, have fun ☺

Just wish I had more time.

Edited by Rea

I always thought Robins were too territorial to allow another one in their space but I was sure the 'one' I was feeding wasnt just one!

Waiting for the kettle to boil this morning I saw both of them, grabbed the camera and managed to get a fairly blurred shot of them.

post-3139-0-35185700-1483696005_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Its a Canon sx510hs mundia.

I've had it 2 years and I'm still far from understanding all the settings, but the basics are pretty simple.

I love taking photos, my aim is to like everything I take, but I've a long way to go before that happens

https://youpic.com/photographer/dillydolly4/

Rea those are amazing - I particularly liked some of the building photos - I like a bit of architecture me ::1a