Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents' Occupations

Same here, we don't ask but do often find out - we had a poet until last year when his younger son left to go to school, I think that's been our most unusual!

It just made me think as one of my staff said she was asked on school admissions form.

Also on my nursery management software, it has a space for occupation but we leave it blank.

I couldn't think of a reason for knowing and it just made me think.

Thanks for your replies.

We never asked but found many told us , often to offer services.. over the years we had childrens entertainer, opera singer, fitness instructor, musician, ballet dancer who all offered to help in some way. ( I may say the Opera singer was a wonderful Santa who sang and told a story, and the children's entertainer came back many years and a much reduced cost or free)

Have also had a police bike rider, ambulance paramedic and RNLI volunteer, a couple of GPs.. always found it amazing the wide range of occupations .

yes we ask...but it is an optional question. We use it to chat to the children about Parents/carers jobs, have used it to ask if people would like to come in (paramedics/firefighters etc, we have a solicitor who has done some work free for us, carpenters and mechanics who donate some time, builders who have sponsored us for items, Expert advice from doctors etc etc etc I find it really useful and has come from info on the PSLA documents.It also helps to explain things like night working/shift working which might cause issues

• Like 3

we do the same as Apple - just ask for place of work for contact details - children do tell us what their parents do and parents will often tell us what they do - we do ask on newsletters for parents to come in and talk about their jobs / any talents (like guitar playing etc.,) but very rarely do we get anyone taking this up, sadly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)