Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Funding is Decreasing

Stargrower

BroadOaks, I think you'll find you get supplements for deprivation not depravity which means something else altogether!

Ohh a Déjà vu moment just occurred! I have used the word "Depravity" before, instead of Deprivation :unsure: I will learn one day! :ph34r:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

What LA's get isn't necessarily what providers get though .... Is it?

As I understand the LA can hold back up to 5% of the per hour funding- if they want to retain more they have to put a case to the DfE. We are lucky that our LA has always given 100% to the provider so fingers crossed that stays the same.

• Like 1

Hmmm it seems they have sneaked this in:

Supplementary funding for maintained nursery schools, for the duration of this Parliament.

Page 8: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574014/Early_years_national_funding_formula__EYNFF__operational_guide.pdf

EDIT: Further Information regarding this: THE DEBATE

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2016-11-14/debates/A54142CD-CFC0-47DE-941E-5835A77156CE/NurserySchools#contribution-91C54C1F-6980-4D2D-B81E-B6C95402CD0B

Part of the discussion from the above link:

Andrew Stephenson is quoted below:

I met Jan Holmes, the headteacher of Walton Lane Nursery, and many other Pendle nursery headteachers recently. Further to many of the points that have already been made, will my hon. Friend commit to extending the funding for maintained nursery schools beyond the two years indicated in the consultation, as nursery schools really do make a difference to some of the poorest children in my constituency?

...and this discussion goes on to say that basically; Maintained Nursery Schools provide a better service that PVI settings so therefor require additional funding until at least 2020... (in a nutshell)

Edited by BroadOaks

If you were the decision maker and were the person looking at the facts to support whether or not nursery schools should continue to receive extra funding, or should close(which they would have to due to the additional requirements that cost money that they have to meet, and in fact there are already so many that have closed in recent years), what evidence would you be looking at to help you make your decision?

it is not a matter for evidence because the range of quality that each setting provides is hard to measure.. if we base it on how successful children are developed. The data collected throughout the years are based on a particular model of education, and not on how each child succeeds throughout their life. So my short answer is none!

Beatrice Merrick, chief executive, Early Education said, ‘The Government needs to put quality at the heart of the new funding formula, as evidence shows that only high quality provision makes a difference to children's outcomes, especially the most disadvantaged. Only schools provide consistently high quality provision in disadvantaged areas, and the fact that on average it costs only 3 per cent more to fund such provision shows that we should be investing more widely in graduate-led provision, instead of funding all settings equally whether led by a qualified teacher or a level 3 practitioner.

The above quote really angers me :angry:

I believe that an unqualified person can be an equal or even a better role model to a child, than a qualified!

Edited by BroadOaks
  • Like 1

But in this climate of accountability, you have to use some criteria to make your decision, you can't just pluck it out of a bag.so, you mention how successful the children have developed, that would be your evidence base, but how are you measuring that?

• Like 1

Yes I do understand that when it comes to finance then "evidence" needs to be presented. The problem is, it is a very hard thing to measure.

If we are to measure how children are "performing" then the only way to accurately collate this would be to have the same person measure each child (impossible) We already know that Ofsted ratings are not always accurate and again this is due to how it is measured.

For me personally, statistics are never accurate when measuring such a broad range of things. If we are to use statistics however, then why don't we look at other countries models (stats) and copy the best model available thus far?

At the end of the day.. a person can be successful without gaining any qualifications. This can be either through luck, hard work, personality, ability, etc etc and there are many factors.. YES we should give children the best start in life and all the tools to succeed.. again though, what are the best tools to succeed.. it can differ from person to person!

So again my short answer is: You can't measure it.

EDIT: i will add one thing to this:

In my particular area and simply driving past school children, leaving school and crossing the road.. they do not care about cars! You basically need to wait for them to cross (slowely) and almost run them over at times! One example of how we are educating children, they do not care about authority as much as they used to. I know the reasons for this behaviour in many young children and I won't explain it here and now. My only point to make is that we are not doing as good a job now than we used to 20 years ago.

Edited by BroadOaks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)