Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Video upload

SDPlaygroup

My video is one and a half minute's long (husband says 'huge'!!). And I've tried in the app and via the browser. Technically challenged here so any advice would be appreciated. Have Googled whether I can compress but got no joy there either. Any help Steve would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Annie -

Videos must be less than 100 MB in size - perhaps your husband can see how big 'huge' is in terms of MBs? The reason I asked whether you were using the app is that the iOS (iPads etc) app will compress the video before upload.

There is compression software you can use, but I'll need to ask the developers in the morning whether they have any in particular that they'd recommend. :1b

Hi Annie -

Videos must be less than 100 MB in size - perhaps your husband can see how big 'huge' is in terms of MBs? The reason I asked whether you were using the app is that the iOS (iPads etc) app will compress the video before upload.

There is compression software you can use, but I'll need to ask the developers in the morning whether they have any in particular that they'd recommend. :1b

The video is 100MBs. I tried to upload it from the ipad which is what I used to take the video and it wouldn't work. So "airdropped" it to the Mac and it still won't work. If I'd known 100mb was the limit I would have got the children to hurry up with the observation :))

Sorry to keep asking more questions (you might prefer to submit a support ticket which would probably get a quicker response...) but if the original file was 100MB it should be small enough, and you should be able to upload it via the iPad app, by selecting it from the relevant screen within the app. Can you try it again and just confirm that it fails again, noting the time that you uploaded it?

Hello

If you have a mac, then you probably have the Photos app. Using that you can:

1. Trim the video to show just the important bit: http://www.imore.com/how-edit-videos-photos-os-x

2. Export at a lower resolution (720p is plenty): With the video showing in Photos, use the File menu, then Export, then Export 1 video ..., then choose 720p for the movie quality.

Together, those things should get your video small enough.

Tom

Sorry to keep asking more questions (you might prefer to submit a support ticket which would probably get a quicker response...) but if the original file was 100MB it should be small enough, and you should be able to upload it via the iPad app, by selecting it from the relevant screen within the app. Can you try it again and just confirm that it fails again, noting the time that you uploaded it?

Hi Steve - I have today tried to upload another video (not having learned my lesson the first time, or feeling confident that one way or another you will be able to sort this out for me!), and it failed, with the same message 'file too large to be uploaded', on the ipad, via the website link not the app. Time failed 18.40. Thanks again. Your pain in the backside!

Hi Annie -

No problem. But I probably should have been more specific - it's only got any chance of uploading if you try to do it through the app. This is because the app will compress the file for you before uploading it to our servers, which will only accept files of less than 100MB.

If it fails through the app let us know the time and we can probably find out more information from the logs.

As Tom mentioned above, your alternative is to use iPhoto to trim and export your video at a lower resolution on your mac (you mentioned that you had one). This should bring it down below 100MB and then you can use Safari on your Mac to login to Tapestry and upload.

Hope that helps. :1b

Hello

If you have a mac, then you probably have the Photos app. Using that you can:

1. Trim the video to show just the important bit: http://www.imore.com/how-edit-videos-photos-os-x

2. Export at a lower resolution (720p is plenty): With the video showing in Photos, use the File menu, then Export, then Export 1 video ..., then choose 720p for the movie quality.

Together, those things should get your video small enough.

Tom

Hi Tom - golly, that all sounds like a foreign language to me :)) I will need to get my teenager son to help with this ;) Thanks for your help.

Hi Annie -

No problem. But I probably should have been more specific - it's only got any chance of uploading if you try to do it through the app. This is because the app will compress the file for you before uploading it to our servers, which will only accept files of less than 100MB.

If it fails through the app let us know the time and we can probably find out more information from the logs.

As Tom mentioned above, your alternative is to use iPhoto to trim and export your video at a lower resolution on your mac (you mentioned that you had one). This should bring it down below 100MB and then you can use Safari on your Mac to login to Tapestry and upload.

Hope that helps. :1b

Thanks, I'll try again through the app. Failing that, I will try Tom's suggestion (with some 'youngster' help!). Anne