Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted clarification on changes to safeguarding requirements

FSFRebecca

Gill Jones, Ofsted Early Education Deputy Director, has written in Nursery World about the recent changes to the safeguarding requirements. It is a very useful and clear article - you don't have to be a subscribing member to read it so I have put a link to the article below.

Inspecting safeguarding in the early years

• Like 9

can I just say a huge thank you for this article. My deputy was on a safeguarding course (or was it child protection!!!) this week and was told virtually the opposite of all the questions. THANK YOU for this timely link!!! (goes away muttering about how much money the lea get from us and they can't even get this right.....mumble ....mumble :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :angry: )

• Like 7

can I just say a huge thank you for this article. My deputy was on a safeguarding course (or was it child protection!!!) this week and was told virtually the opposite of all the questions. THANK YOU for this timely link!!! (goes away muttering about how much money the lea get from us and they can't even get this right.....mumble ....mumble :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :angry: )

Have to say our LA advisors have been quick with this - we have however a staff member doing the 'designated person' SG/CP(????) tomorrow, be interesting to see what she comes back with! :unsure:

Can I ask those preschools who are run by a voluntary committeee management, if their chair has been on a safeguarding course and is it written down anywhere that this is part of their role?

No, none of our committee have been on any courses.

Can I ask those preschools who are run by a voluntary committeee management, if their chair has been on a safeguarding course and is it written down anywhere that this is part of their role?

I got my chair to do an online basic one and also another board member who is named as our safeguarding trustee, it isn't written anywhere but I asked them and they was happy to do it, gold stars lol

Thanks so much for the clarification.

Our LEA says Safeguarding Leads need SLP 2 day training every 3 years and also have to go on the CP training too! And I asked for clarification about whether the SLP has to be present at all times and was told categorically yes when I had read it as they have to be available.

Our LEA says Safeguarding Leads need SLP 2 day training every 3 years and also have to go on the CP training too!

Is it the EYFS or the LEA that decides how often? EYFS:

"The lead practitioner must attend a child protection training course" "Taking account of any advice from the LSCB or local authority on appropriate training courses."

I shall be emailing the link to my LA safeguarding lead as on a refresher on Monday my staff were told policies had to be changed and at a DSL network last week I was told that deputy DSL had to do level 3 multi-agency (at great expense by the time you factor in pay for course, staff member and supply). We also have to do level 3 refresher every 2 years (although this may be LSCB requirement) which I will ask for clarification on.

Truly there is enough paperwork as it is without adding stuff to the TD list that isn't needed

• Like 3

I shall be emailing the link to my LA safeguarding lead as on a refresher on Monday my staff were told policies had to be changed and at a DSL network last week I was told that deputy DSL had to do level 3 multi-agency (at great expense by the time you factor in pay for course, staff member and supply). We also have to do level 3 refresher every 2 years (although this may be LSCB requirement) which I will ask for clarification on.

Truly there is enough paperwork as it is without adding stuff to the TD list that isn't needed

Im in exactly the same position...I too will be emailing this to my head of service (no point in sending it to my development worker as she is the one who told us the incorrect information!)

I have no issue with being made the person where the buck stops....but I am fed up with people further up the line telling me incorrect rubbish.....this worm is about to turn :angry:

• Like 3

Ours hasnt, and no it isnt written down as part of their role, to be honest I wouldnt expect it of them. Now that I can no longer be the NP our Treasurer is. We were inspected last December. She was only interested in what training/knowledge the staff had.

Edited by lynned55

We have to name our safeguarding committee member on our county committee audit form ( doesn't say it needs to be the chair) they do L2 (half day) our Deputy DSL does the same training as as the Named DSL, we also have an 'understanding your role' but I'm not sure if that's for new to role DSL, those that aren't confident in the role or all DSL & Deputy DSL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)