Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any 30 Hours Early Implementors?

BroadOaks

I was hoping to find out some accurate information even at this early stage, regarding how the 30 hours are funded?

If a child attends your setting for 30 hours per week, and the base rate is £4.00 this would be a base payment of £120.00 per week. Then we have the puzzle of supplements of course. I understand these supplements are being paid at a max 10% of base rate? So a max additional payment of 40p if this is correct.

30 hours x £4.40 = £132 per week for 30 hours childcare. Would this be an accurate figure at this stage?

If parents require 40 hours per week they would pay just £60 per week extra for this.. also the opportunity to add on payments for food approx £5 per week

£65 per week + £132 per week = £197 per week for 40 hours childcare with some parents requiring more hours than this for a full time place.

These numbers are not too bad here in the North West.. so if this is accurate then I can stop worrying?

We were told that there probably wouldn't be any supplements. So EYPP and any deprivation supplements etc would be included in the hourly funded rate.

If parents require more than 30 hours, you can charge them at your hourly rate. It doesn't have to be the same as the funded rate. Our funding is significantly less than the hourly rate we charge.

Edited by Stargrower

I think that's part of the issue is it depends where you are!!! Lincolnshire currently gets £3.52 per hour - no deprivation in many settings, also very limited pupil premium, rateable value again this depends where you are within Lincolnshire! However living wage, minimum wage, pension contributions standard across the board!! Therein lies the problem in that some settings may benefit whilst others will be crucified!!

• Like 3

Maybe an example from each early implementor. But even that won't really help as the funding they're getting now isnt necessarily reflective of what it will actually be!! All of the estimates and projections are just that! Me being cynical perhaps?!!!

• Like 1

We were told that there probably wouldn't be any supplements. So EYPP and any deprivation supplements etc would be included in the hourly funded rate.

If parents require more than 30 hours, you can charge them at your hourly rate. It doesn't have to be the same as the funded rate. Our funding is significantly less than the hourly rate we charge.

There are supplements for things like opening over 50 weeks of the year and for over 9 hours per day. This should be the case for every area in the future I presume.

post-55063-0-84149700-1475222570_thumb.jpg
The above chart shows the way funding is passed down to settings..

post-55063-0-84149700-1475222570_thumb.jpg

Also to add our base rate here is currently around the £2.70 mark! However, with an EYP or QTS it increases to around £3.50 then depravity of about 70p is added and Flexibility of about 70p .. it all adds up to an average of approx £5 per hour!

15 hours x £5 = £75.00 per week per deprived funded 3/4 year old.. so if they was to actually increase the funding for our area when the 30 hours starts, it would mean over £150 per child for 30 hours which is actually a good rate.. BUT...

...It looks like the additional 15 hours are going to be funded without supplements.. hence the lower funding amount of approx £120 I predicted in the 1st post.

SO this means that if you have a vast supply of 3/4 year old children at the moment doing 15 hours.. and basically no room for any more.. why on earth would we want to offer 30 hours funding at a lower rate?!

So I am still 50/50 about this 30 hours without knowing how this new funding will affect things?!!

• Like 2

Yes I saw that our area was being quoted at £4.06 per hour. I didn't take much notice of it to be honest due to the base rate figures it was showing we already receive being way out! Not sure where the data came from but it wasn't in line with ours! if it was an average figure from the whole borough and those figures took into account maintained nursery figures, I don't know?!

The only thing positive that I have noticed is that, all childcare providers are to be paid the same average base rate, regardless if a maintained nursery or private nursery. We all do the same job, at the end of the day! Qualifications should increase value to some extent, I am sure all would agree but for example, we employ a QTS and have staff that are Level 4 Qualified, yet it appears that maintained schools who simply add on a Pre-School provision are getting nearly 2 times the funding of a private nursery. Yes this is due to staff wages of course, yet they only provide the same service to their children, in fact, they offer less hours, thus less of a service!! CRAZY!

Edited by BroadOaks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)