Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dangerous 'Button batteries'

FSFRebecca

I am sure many of you saw the news about 'Button batteries' last week - I was horrified by what I learnt and so I am sharing the information here with all of you lovely people!

I think it would be worth sharing this info with parents - I bet some of them have no idea about the potential danger they pose.

Button batteries are found in household items including watches and clocks, bathroom scales, toys, television remote controls and bicycle lights. The more widely available and powerful they become, the more of a danger they pose to young children. Even used batteries, which stop working in our electronics, cause significant injuries.

Jeremy Vine dedicated a section of his programme to it - which was brilliant, and terrifying in equal measure. Jeremy Vine Radio 2

Here is the full press release from Great Ormond Street Hospital

I posted this on the FSF Facebook page last week, an information leaflet that could be given to all parents or displayed -http://capt.org.uk/sites/default/files/imce/files/samples/CAPT%20Button%20Batteries%20flyer%20Jan%2016_0.pdf

I help run a toy library and we have decided to put this in every application to join pack and with all items that have them, as some of the toys are designed for older children and a lot of the 'discovery' style items have them. They all have screws in the battery cover , we do say under supervision for these toys but you never know what happens when they are taken out.

• Like 3

I posted this on the FSF Facebook page last week, an information leaflet that could be given to all parents or displayed -http://capt.org.uk/sites/default/files/imce/files/samples/CAPT%20Button%20Batteries%20flyer%20Jan%2016_0.pdf

I help run a toy library and we have decided to put this in every application to join pack and with all items that have them, as some of the toys are designed for older children and a lot of the 'discovery' style items have them. They all have screws in the battery cover , we do say under supervision for these toys but you never know what happens when they are taken out.

That's brilliant - I will put a copy in the resource library now. Thank you

• Like 1

Thank you Inge - have printed and this will be on my noticeboard tomorrow

• Like 2

It isn't just small children who are in danger. The elderly can become confused and think that they are pills. This happened to my 98 year old Father who was changing his hearing-aid batteries and swallowed them instead. Fortunately I arrived ar that moment and realised what he had done and rang the hospital, which sent an ambulance. We managed to wash them through his body with fizzy drinks, but it was a terrilbe experience for him and involved peroidic x-rays to chek on progress and an overnight stay.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)