Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding requirements

Wildflowers

Have the safeguarding requirements changed without a change of the EYFS requirements? The changes to the safeguarding requirements are in the document for inspectors, but which is the document for providers?

EYFS Requirements

Lead: The lead practitioner must attend a child protection training course (taking account of any advice from the LSCB or local authority on appropriate training courses) that enables them to identify, understand and respond appropriately to signs of possible abuse and neglect.

Staff: Providers must train all staff to understand their safeguarding policy and procedures, and ensure that all staff have up to date knowledge of safeguarding issues.

Inspecting Safeguarding in Early Years

Lead: There is a designated senior member of staff in charge of safeguarding arrangements who has been trained to the appropriate level and understands their responsibilities relating to the protection of children.

Deputy lead: When the setting is in operation, the designated safeguarding lead or an appropriately trained deputy should be available during opening hours for staff to discuss safeguarding concerns.

Staff: Staff receive appropriate training on safeguarding at induction, that is updated regularly. In addition, they receive information on safeguarding and child protection at least annually.

1. In the inspectors' document it states that safeguarding leads in schools should undertake safeguarding training every two years and their knowledge be refreshed annually. Which are the requirements regarding updating of training for early years settings - is it enough to keep up-to-date with new legislation and guidance, and know ones procedures well?

2. Does the deputy safeguarding lead and the safeguarding lead need the same training? (We are three staff and I'm always with the group or nearby.)

3. Do staff have to attend a training course or can they still be trained by the safeguarding lead?

Edited by Wildflowers

i came to very similar conclusions last night Wildflowers after reading the dreaded document. Haven't however decided on any particular action or non-action at the moment.

What I hate is these documents being up-dated, which then causes a kerfuffle through the business and when we dust it all down there is confusion and as ever ambiguity My gut feeling is to go with the Requirements, just make sure everyone is clear about their roles and book my senior safeguarding training asap

Like Mouseketeer we have added a couple of sentences to the Safeguarding policy - annual refreshers for all staff, two yearly refreshers for Safeguarding leads (even though on the LSCB it states 3 yearly), called the policy itself Safeguarding Children - child Protection Policy, Safeguarding lead on site at all times and a sentence about all staff being aware of their statutory duty to report FMG. Have then pasted into section of staff meeting agenda to inform all staff. Staff behaviour policy is still something that I am toying with; which means I am in the process of working out a method of showing we adhere to the standards without changing anything as we actually do as we do but in various other polices!!

• Like 1

i think that your deputy would need the same sort of training as if you were unwell etc they would need to be able to take on this role.

we were told by our development worker that deputy needed level 3 training - best bit is it is free in our county (have to pay for level 2) - bad bit is that training is hard to come by as schools seem to come first when it comes to availability.

re rest of staff i would think that any changes/updates that happen you must ensure are passed onto them - make sure they sign to say they have read/understood anything you give them and put in their file - this shows what you are doing and you can show ofsted.

i also put up small posters with any important info on in the staff area - eg name and phone number of LADO etc., and whistleblowing policy etc.,

• Like 2

i think that your deputy would need the same sort of training as if you were unwell etc they would need to be able to take on this role.

we were told by our development worker that deputy needed level 3 training [...]

Is a level 3 for the Lead? This is from our LSCB training document:

Level 4: The employee understands their role and responsibilities as professional advisor/named or designated lead

What I hate is these documents being up-dated, which then causes a kerfuffle through the business and when we dust it all down there is confusion and as ever ambiguity My gut feeling is to go with the Requirements, just make sure everyone is clear about their roles and book my senior safeguarding training asap

But if we go with the Requirements, the inspector will make judgements based on their document.

Yes true, Wildflowers, the Inspectors document is fleshing out the Requirements. That is why I will be making sure the staff are up to date with the tweeks such as Peer on peer, we have already done FGM and obviously PREVENT and I will up date asap, 18 months before I technically have to, unfortunately my Deputy is booked in for a her up-date but not as a "lead", so will need to re think that.

While the 2 documents are at slight odds, I think showing that we are up-dating our systems should be enough, once the Requirements are changed then you really would have to have everything on board.

That obviously is just my way of thinking - as you can see from other posts we all have out own ways of evidencing how we are accommodating these changes to the Inspectors guide.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 2

I'll add peer abuse and FGM to our policy. That's part of the updating we are required to do. However, my issue is with the training requirements.

EYFS Requirements

The lead must attend an appropriate child protection training course, taking account of advice from the LSCB or LA.

Providers must train all staff.

Inspecting Safeguarding in Early Years

Lead and deputy lead to be trained to the appropriate level.

Staff to receive appropriate training on induction and information on safeguarding at least annually.

LSCB Training Policy (our county)

- Level 3 training is required for staff who work with children and have particular responsibilities for safeguarding and child protection.

- Level 4 training is required for the designated lead for child protection and their deputies in all services.

- Refresher training should be provided at least every three years.

Currently my plan is to do what I think is responsible and reasonable for our setting and justify this in our policy, with reference to LA and LSCB advice.

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

I've only skim read the thread, but thinking about the different wording in the documents.

During our inspection earlier this year the inspector advised us that there was going to be a revised EYFS in September. My guess is- when the revised one does eventually get released it will tally up with the osfted guidance (hopefully).

That said - knowing how much us early years providers are valued....... We'll probably all change it now, then it will be a whole new raft of changes we'll have to do again.

• Like 3

When reading this: NSPCC briefing 'Keeping children safe in education'.pdf from NSPCC when searching for information on peer-on-peer abuse in the early years, I realised that Ofsted's inspections document must be in response to 'Keeping Children Safe in Education'. As that document is for schools and maintained nurseries, I assume that the requirements haven't changed for the non-maintened early years settings (other than that we have to report cases of FGM).

I've only skim read the thread, but thinking about the different wording in the documents.

During our inspection earlier this year the inspector advised us that there was going to be a revised EYFS in September. My guess is- when the revised one does eventually get released it will tally up with the osfted guidance (hopefully).

That said - knowing how much us early years providers are valued....... We'll probably all change it now, then it will be a whole new raft of changes we'll have to do again.

I keep reading about the changes to the EYFS which are due to be published in September, is this referring to the Safeguarding changes or is the EYFS changing again?

'Keeping Children Safe' document is (to my understanding) for maintained settings, but the inspectors document is for early years settings in general: "This guidance sets out the key points inspectors need to consider when inspecting safeguarding in early years [...] settings." So what is in the Ofsted document applies to non-maintained settings.

When reading this: attachicon.gifNSPCC briefing 'Keeping children safe in education'.pdf from NSPCC when searching for information on peer-on-peer abuse in the early years, I realised that Ofsted's inspections document must be in response to 'Keeping Children Safe in Education'. As that document is for schools and maintained nurseries, I assume that the requirements haven't changed for the non-maintened early years settings (other than that we have to report cases of FGM).

Is this then, relevant for PVI preschools? It seems to refer to 'schools and colleges' when I follow the links.

Is this then, relevant for PVI preschools? It seems to refer to 'schools and colleges' when I follow the links.

The document is about 'Keeping children safe in education', which is not for PVI preschools. However, the Ofsted document seems to state that PVIs will be inspected for those things (even if they're not in the EYFS requirements).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)