Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundations Stage Units - Fully integrated nursery and reception provi

Hi everyone,

I'm working on the second edition of my book:

'Understanding Transitions in the Early Years: Supporting Change Through Attachment and Resilience'

https://www.routledge.com/Understanding-Transitions-in-the-Early-Years-Supporting-Change-through/OConnor/p/book/9780415598583

and am looking for examples of Foundation Stage Units where nursery and reception children are integrated and move freely between all spaces, adults and activities for most, or even all, of the day rather than in separate age groupings and particularly where key person groups are vertically grouped across both nursery and reception age (3-5).

I would also be interested in comments from anyone who has experience of such types of setting but where pressures to formalise reception teaching have resulted in greater separation, fewer shared activities and even 'walls being put back in' to recreate separate provision.
Please note - am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with separated provision within FSUs - just that I am looking at strategies that have removed the transition between nursery and reception.
Huge thanks in anticipation! :1b
Anne

Hello!

I ran a FSU from 2005-2009 back when our county head of children's services wasn't keen so we had to prove it to her.

It was a small village primary and pre school was on site, we took on the pre school and they were in with our reception children. There was me teaching and leading overall but I planned and worked alongside the pre school manager. We had large ratios so we were able to have full free flow provision.

The most important factors here were that I found the children who were in our pre school had higher FSP scores than those who had either attended another setting or had no provision at all, they also settled quickly because they knew the setting.

The school doesn't operate this system now as far as I know ( and I don't know the reasons for this as I left 5 years ago) but it worked brilliantly at the timeand I do think now due to the expectations that this sort of provison is seen less than it was.

Hope this helps Anne :)

Thanks, Jester, your comments are very useful, particularly with reference to children settling better. Am also interested to hear that children's FSP scores were higher when they had the integrated experience. I will PM you shortly. Many thanks! :1b

I am the teacher in a FSU. We have Reception, Nursery and Pre-nursery all in the same unit - smallish village primary. It's fair to say by the time they leave us (almost 2 and a half years later) we know them pretty well!!

We have vertical key groups and the whole day is largely free flow (apart from the compulsory phonic session).

I'd be happy to help if I can. Please let me know if you need more information.

Helen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anne

I work in a small village primary school. We have Reception and pre-school (from 2years 9 months) all in one room. 15 Reception and max 12 pre-school each day. I had 9 out of my 15 this year that attended our pre-school so I knew them well before starting Reception. Let me know if I can be of any help :)

Lauren

Hi, Anne,

I am a Foundation Stage Teacher in a small independent school which takes children from rising three. We have all of the Nursery and Reception children in the same classroom and have a free flow system. We use Objective Led Planning so that the children are taken from where they are at depending on the area we are focusing on that day. I am lucky to have two permanent, full time assistants in the Early Years setting so the children have a great consistency of care and attention and all three of us are aware of where the children are, even though we do still have our own key children. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Rachel

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses - it is great to know that 'all-through FSUs' still exist and continue to thrive. ::1a

The new edition of Understanding Transitions in the Early Years: Supporting change through attachment and resilience' should hopefully be out in the new year...

All the best,

Anne

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)