No replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily

Feet firmly under the table!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

You are currently on the full length tutorial. This will take you, in detail, through every page within the section. However, if you don't have much time, or are happy to explore it mostly by yourself, you'll probably just need to skim through the basic version (found here).

As this guide is significantly longer than our others, we figured you might not want to read through everything all in one go, but rather find something specific. As such, we have made life a little bit easier by providing these handy links. Simply click on the area of the tutorial that you want to see and you will be taken straight there.

EYFS Thoroughness

EYFS Attainment

• Dashboard
  • Areas of Learning
  • Child Overview
  • Group Overview
  • Staff Overview
  • Detail Screen
  • Picker Screen

EYFS Progress

• Dashboard
  • Areas of Learning
  • Child Overview
  • Group Overview
  • Staff Overview
  • Detail Screen
  • Picker Screen

CoEL Section

Navigating through Analysis

2016-08-04_14-21-05.png

At the top of the analysis page you will notice the navigation buttons, whilst they won't all be highlighted when you first click on the analysis tab, you will notice that they have become active after you have moved through the screens a bit.

They're pretty self-explanatory really;

· 'Home' will take you to the first page of the analysis screen.

· 'Up' will take you up a level, so for example, if you were on the EYFS Attainment Dashboard, 'Up' would take you to the EYFS Dashboard.

· 'Back' will take you to the last page you were on. This differs from 'Up' because the last page you were on might not necessarily be the one higher in the chain, i.e. if you've just used the 'Up' button, or if you got to that page from the favourites function (I will show you this in a second).

· 'Forward' counteracts the 'Back' button. This will only be active when you have been on other pages of the analysis section during that session and have clicked the back button.

· 'Export' will allow you to download a PDF of the page you are on when you press it. 

· 'Set Options' can be used to change whether you see all, or just your key children, and whether you see quantitative information (months), or qualitative (ranges).   

2016-08-05_11-49-21.png

Favourites

If you don't want to move through all the screens to get to the same one each time you can add it to your favourites list. You will find this at the bottom of every page.

2016-08-05_11-52-27.png

Just click that button when you're on the page you want to save and after you have given it a title, it will appear alongside it. You will then be able to click on that link and be taken straight back to it.

Extra Note

NB: When using Tapestry, there are several settings and preferences you can change that will determine how the analysis looks. For a dedicated tutorial on this, see this tutorial.
Finally, please note that if you wish to change the dates of the assessment periods you will be working with (configurable according to your preferences) you need to go to your Control Panel > Manage Settings > Options: Summative Assessments. A tutorial on setting your time periods is available here.

Okay, on to the tutorial!

Home Page

Once you click on the analysis tab, you'll see the following screens.

The first box will give you a brief Setting overview with some statistics about your active children and the number of observations that have been made for them in total.

2016-08-05_11-54-51.png

The next section down is the EYFS screen. This will show you some statistics about the EYFS part of it, including how many total assessments have been made for all your active children, and within that, how many for each of the Development Matters areas. This is shown with numbers and words on the left hand side, and in the form of a pie chart on the right.

2016-08-05_11-55-18.png

If you hover over the pie chart with your mouse, you will be able to see the number of assessments that have been made in each aspect of the area you are on. This will be shown as a number and as a percentage of all observations within EYFS (not within all assessment pickers). So, on the example I am showing you here, 10.5% of total EYFS observations in this School were done on Making Relationships. 

bdgh.png

A little bit further down the page you will see the CoEL section. This is laid out in the same way as the EYFS section, with the statistics and pie chart.

2016-08-05_11-55-35.png

Dashboard

For this part of the tutorial, you will need to go back to the top of the front page of the analysis tab, and click on the EYFS banner.

2016-08-05_12-15-20.png

This will take you to a page showing an overview for each thoroughness, attainment, and progress. Within these areas, you will be shown the top/bottom 5 children and groups, and a bar chart detailing the Setting wide average over the selected period (this can be narrowed down to a specific group).

2016-08-04_14-57-37.png

2016-08-04_14-57-52.png2016-08-04_14-58-08.png

The overviews were not designed to give you precise data for your whole Setting, but rather establish roughly how well things are going in each area. As you can see, this utilises the colour coding system that is employed throughout Tapestry; red means performance is below where it should be, green means it is exactly where it should be, and purple means performance is above where it should be. Which values denote these qualitative measures should be set by you – to see how, please take a look at this tutorial.

For each of the overviews you have a variety of options, as indicated in the screenshot below. Please note that whilst the screenshot only shows the thoroughness overview, the options are the same for all three (although you will need to select two periods to see progress).

1. You can decide whether you see the top or bottom 5 children/groups in the lists next to the bar.
  2. You can pick which period (or periods, if you are on the progress section) the data relates to.
  3. If you want it to show a particular group, you can do so by choosing said group from the 'Group' drop down list, otherwise leave it set as 'All Children'.
  4. You can see the data for all children/groups in your selected time period in that area, by clicking on 'Show details'. This will take you to the picker screens. I will discuss these in more detail later. 

to.png

You will also notice there are a few options at the bottom of the page - the comparison and statement screens. I will come back to these later in the tutorial, but for now I will just give a brief description of each.

2016-08-05_12-24-22.png

Comparison - As the name suggests, this is where you will compare different aspects of your data. You will need to pick one or more period and one or more of your selected variable i.e. Individual (children), Group, or Staff (data based on key children). It will be shown to you in the form of a table, and either a bar chart (for two variables/periods), or a graph.

EYFS Statement Screen - This will show you the number of times each statement has been ticked for a particular child, and when the last time this occurred was.

EYFS Thoroughness Dashboard

To get to the thoroughness dashboard you simply need to click on the grey ‘Thoroughness overview’ title bar.

2016-08-04_15-52-55.png

This will reveal another four sections; Areas of Learning, and Child, Group, and Staff Overviews. They will show you distribution graphs of the average that is being achieved for the period and group that you pick. This is established taking the total number of observations performed in each area for every child and divided by the number of children (the mean).

The list of five things at the side of each graph can be used to highlight exceeding or problematic areas.

2016-08-05_12-26-41.png

2016-08-05_12-27-13.png

Areas of Learning

The graph itself is visually very useful. For example, you can instantly tell whether each of the EYFS areas are being observed fairly equally. If this is the case you would expect to see a fairly straight line, with few jagged points.

In order to tell if the average number of observations is good you will need to look at the numbers on the y axis.

The snapshot below is taken from my test account. It shows us that whilst there aren’t any areas that haven’t been observed at all, thoroughness is poor (even my top five are coloured to indicate trailing), and I have been observing Making Relationships and Self Confidence and Social Awareness more than all other areas.

2016-08-05_12-52-36.png

Child Overview

This graph focuses on the number of observations made for individual children, with their average for the top/bottom five at the side. You can only see lines of four children – any more than that and it would be too difficult to read.

From this graph I can tell that Katie Blumen has far more observations than anyone else. It is clear that she is skewing the averages for the Areas of Learning.

Ideally, here, you would want to see all the lines overlapping. If, as with Katie Blumen, there is one child being assessed significantly more or less than anyone else, it should be pretty obvious.

The other thing to note about this graph (as well as the others in this section) is the ‘Show details…’ button. That will take you to the Picker Screens.

2016-08-05_12-55-04.png

Group Overview

As with the other distribution graphs, the group overview shows the average number of observations done for each area (the total number of observations for each area for all children in the group divided by the number of children in the group).

My graph shows that, on average, I am assessing the Free School Meals group more than any other by a fairly significant amount. It’s important that you don’t confuse these thoroughness graphs with attainment – that isn’t indicated here.

2016-08-05_12-56-04.png

Staff Overview

Throughout the analysis section you will see information about Staff. This doesn’t actually mean individual staff members as such (we don’t currently provide tracking for that) but rather the key groups for that staff member. Therefore, if you have multiple staff members assigned to the same group of children, you should expect their statistics to show the same thing, regardless of how many observations each of them are making.

You can see that in my test Setting, the Key Children for Lauren Foley are being assessed the most overall, but fairly unevenly. Sue Richardson’s Key Children haven’t been assessed whatsoever in all but two areas, but at least it’s fairly consistent!

2016-08-05_12-56-54.png

Thoroughness Detail Screens

Clicking on any of the banners, other than ‘Areas of Learning’, in the Thoroughness dashboard will take you to the 'Detail screens'. This will show you a box and whisker plot.

The screenshot here depicts the Child version, but the other two look the same – the only difference is that the dots represent groups/Staff member’s key children instead of individuals.

As you can see, it is colour coded to give a quick visual reference. Each EYFS assessment area has the assessment data plotted above it. The top and bottom dots above each area denote min and max values and the white box shows the interquartile range between the upper and lower quartiles - this identifies where 50% of the child sample sit.

It will show you all children/groups/staff, but you can change which period it refers to.

2016-08-05_13-39-07.png

By left-clicking on the chart and dragging the mouse, you can select a specific group of data. This will generate a table below the chart that shows the variable, EYFS assessment area, aspect and number of assessment for each in your selected data range.

gfdgd.png

Picker Screens

You can find the picker screens at the bottom of the Thoroughness Dashboard.

2016-08-05_13-41-28.png

Alternatively, you can get to it by clicking on the show detail on the appropriate overview sections. i.e.  the child overview if you want to see the child picker.

2016-08-05_13-45-34.png

Picker Screens

This screen will show you a table with all the children’s names down the left hand side, and how many assessments have been done for each of them. This is shown as an average, and for each aspect of Development Matters. As a default they will be ordered alphabetically, but you can change how they are sorted by clicking on the titles. If you were to click on ‘Average’ for example, it would be easier to see which children aren’t being assessed as much as you would like. 

To see the observations that the numbers refer to, you just have to click on said number and a box with them in will pop up. You can then click on each observation to open them in a new tab.

2016-08-05_13-50-20.png

On the Picker screen itself, you can change (1) the Period and Group it shows, as well as (2) set your own custom period.

2016-08-05_10-41-44.png

If you would like to see something specific in this table you can (3) set a filter. In the example shown below I have set it to show me everyone who has between 1 and 3 observations in Making Relationships. After pressing OK, the names Dorothy Parker and Joshua White would disappear as they have no observations for this aspect.

2016-08-05_13-52-29.png

If you want to see the distribution dot graph you can do so by clicking (4) 'Show chart'.

On this chart the darker the dot, the more children it refers to. So, you can see that in this group (consists of six children) there are four children who have zero observations for Technology, one with one observation, and one with two. Whilst this chart is relatively easy to read and understand for small groups of children, it may get difficult when you are dealing with more than six or so.

2016-08-05_13-53-23.png

Group Picker Screen

Down the left hand side you will find all the groups and along from them, the average number of assessments made per child over all the aspect, then the average for each aspect. Again, they will be ordered alphabetically, but you can re-sort them by clicking on the titles.

2016-08-05_13-54-45.png

The filters and dot distribution graphs work the same here as they do on the child picker graph (please scroll up through this tutorial to see that).

Staff Picker Screen

Much like the child, and group picker screens, the staff one shows the average number of assessments for each aspect and overall, that have been performed for each group of key children.

2016-08-05_13-55-43.png

EYFS Attainment Dashboard

To get to the attainment dashboard you simply need to click on the grey ‘Attainment overview’ title bar which can be found in the EYFS Dashboard.

2016-08-05_14-53-18.png

This will reveal another four sections; Areas of Learning, and Child, Group, and Staff Overviews. They will show you distribution graphs of the average attainment that is being achieved for the period and group that you pick. This is displayed as an average and based on how many months each child is from their actual age. It is important to remember that these graphs do not show attainment in terms of months, but rather in terms of the difference between the number of months children have been assessed at and what they should be achieving for their actual age.

The list of five things at the side of each graph can be used to highlight exceeding or problematic areas/children/groups.

2016-08-05_14-54-07.png

2016-08-05_14-54-28.png

Areas of Learning

Even from first glance this graph can tell you a number of things about attainment within your Setting.

For example, if the line is relatively straight, you will be able to see that performance in each area is pretty consistent.

In order to tell if the average attainment is good you will need to look at the numbers on the y axis.

The snapshot below is taken from my test account. It shows us that generally, attainment is pretty good. There are clearly a few areas where children exceed in my Setting e.g. Technology where they are about 6 months more advanced than they should be, but I might need to focus on areas such as Numbers, where performance is lower than it should be.

2016-08-05_14-56-12.png

Child Overview

This graph focuses on attainment for individual children, again it is the average over the whole period, and based on number of months above or below where they should be for their age. You will see the highest/lowest achieving five at the side. You can only see lines of four children – any more than that and it would be too difficult to read.

It is helpful to have both the average and the more specific line, as averages can be misleading. For example, from the list of five at the side I can see that Katie Blumen is performing on average, 2.3 months above where she should be. This may cause me to think she is doing fine, but after looking at the graph, I will be able to tell that actually, she is falling behind in ‘Understanding’ and ‘ Numbers’.

The other thing to note about this graph (as well as the others in this section) is the ‘Show details…’ button. That will take you to the Attainment Picker Screens.

2016-08-05_14-56-58.png

Group Overview

As with the other distribution graphs, the group overview shows the average attainment for each area (the total number of months that all children in the group are assessed at above or below their actual divided by the number of children in the group).

My graph shows that, on average, 'My Key Children', and the 'Free School Meals' group are the most advanced for their age.

2016-08-05_14-58-08.png

Staff Overview

The Staff overview is much like the group overview, except it only shows Key Children Groups. Recall that Staff doesn't actually mean individual staff members as such (we don’t currently provide tracking for that) but rather the key groups for that staff member. Therefore, if you have multiple staff members assigned to the same group of children, you should expect their statistics to show the same thing, regardless of how many observations each of them are making.

You can see that in my test Setting, the Key Children for Lauren Foley are performing the best on average, but the worst in ‘Numbers’ and ‘Understanding’. Sue Richardson’s Key Children appear to be performing consistently almost exactly to the level that they should be, and Sally Staff Member’s seem to be doing a little bit better than is expected for their age.

2016-08-05_14-58-46.png

Attainment Detail Screens

Clicking on any of the banners, other than ‘Areas of Learning’, in the Attainment dashboard will take you to the 'Detail screens'. This will show you a box and whisker plot.

The screenshot here depicts the Individual (Child) version, but the other two look the same – the only difference is that the dots represent groups/Staff member’s key children instead of individuals.

As you can see, it is colour coded to give a quick visual reference. Each EYFS assessment area has the assessment data plotted above it. The top and bottom dots above each area denote min and max values and the white box shows the interquartile range between the upper and lower quartiles - this identifies where 50% of the child sample sit.

It will show you all children/groups/staff, but you can change which period it refers to.

2016-08-05_15-00-02.png

By left-clicking on the chart and dragging the mouse, you can select a specific group of data. This will generate a table below the chart that shows the variable, EYFS assessment area, aspect and the average number of months above/below actual age that the child has been assessed at.

vcxvxc.png

Picker Screens

You can find the picker screens at the bottom of the Attainment Dashboard.

2016-08-05_16-19-19.png

Alternatively, you can get to it by clicking on the show detail on the appropriate overview sections. i.e. the Staff overview if you want to see the Staff Picker.

2016-08-05_16-19-58.png

Child picker Screen

This screen will show you a table with all the children’s names down the left hand side, the average number of months they are from performing at their actual age, and their actual age. Their average attainment over the period selected as a number of months above or below their actual is also shown for each aspect of Development Matters in the body of the table. As a default they will be ordered alphabetically, but you can change how they are sorted by clicking on the titles. If you were to click on ‘Average’ for example, it would be easier to see which children are trailing in their attainment.

At the top of the screen you are able to change which group of children you see (by default it will show you all children), and which period you see data for. You can enter your own custom period if you like.

2016-08-08_15-38-14.png

If you hover over a specific number, a black box will pop up showing which assessment bracket that score was obtained from.

In this table, a zero means that the child is performing at the appropriate level for their age. A dash means there is no data for that area. You can see that in my screen shot, Mary Poole hasn’t been assessed in almost any area.

hover.png

If you would like to see something specific in this table you can set a filter by clicking on the ‘+ Filter’ button directly underneath the last child in your table. In the example shown below I have set it to show me everyone who is performing between 4 months under their age, and 8 months over their age in Making Relationships. After pressing OK, only Mary Poole would disappear from the list because that filter relates to everyone else.

2016-08-09_15-59-49.png

If you want to see the distribution dot graph you can do so by clicking 'Show chart'.

On this chart the darker the dot, the more children it refers to. So, you can see that in this group (consists of four children) three of them are performing at their age for 'Writing', and one is achieving slightly above that.

Whilst this chart is relatively easy to read and understand for small groups of children, it may get difficult when you are dealing with more than six or so.

2016-08-09_16-03-24.png

Group and Staff Attainment Picker Screens

The Group and Staff picker screens behave in the same way as the child one, described above. The only difference is that it shows the average across the whole group, rather than individual children.

2016-08-09_16-04-52.png

If you want to download any of the information shown in these tables, you just need to click on the ‘Export’ button in the top grey bar, underneath the title.

EYFS Progress Dashboard

To get to the progress dashboard you simply need to click on the grey ‘Progress overview’ title bar which can be found in the EYFS Dashboard.

2016-08-09_16-06-41.png

This will reveal another four sections; Areas of Learning, and Child, Group, and Staff Overviews. They will show you distribution graphs of the average progress (in months) that has been achieved between two periods of your choice.

The list of five things at the side of each graph can be used to highlight exceeding or problematic areas/children/groups.

2016-08-10_12-30-57.png2016-08-10_12-31-22.png

Areas of Learning

This graph can tell you a number of things about progress within your Setting without the need for too much thought on your part.

For example, if the line is relatively straight, you will be able to see that progress in each area is pretty consistent.

In order to tell if the average progress is good you will need to look at the numbers on the y axis. Obviously, ideally you would like progress to be a positive number!

2016-08-10_12-33-33.png

Child Overview

This graph focuses on the progress being made for individual children between the average attainments for each of the periods you choose; for my example I have chosen ‘Spring Term 2 2015/2016’ and ‘Summter Term 2 2015/2016’. You will see the highest/lowest achieving five children in the list on the right hand side. You can only see lines of four children on the graph though – any more than that and it would be too difficult to read.

If there are spaces in the graph where a line stops, it is because there is no data for that area for one of the periods you have selected.

The other thing to note about this graph (as well as the others in this section) is the ‘Show details…’ button. That will take you to the Progress Picker Screens.

2016-08-10_12-34-37.png

Group Overview

As with the other distribution graphs, the group overview shows the average progress for each area for each group.

My graph indicates that I am missing some data for certain aspects, which you can see at the end of the graph, but on the whole each group is doing very well! 

2016-08-10_12-35-41.png

Staff Overview

The Staff overview will show you the progress that has been made for Key Children groups.

You can see that in my test Setting Lauren's key children have made the most progress between these two terms!

2016-08-10_12-38-13.png

Progress Detail Screens

Clicking on any of the banners, other than ‘Areas of Learning’, in the Progress Dashboard will take you to the 'Detail Screens'. These will show you a box and whisker plot.

The screenshot here depicts the Child version, but the other two look the same – the only difference is that the dots represent groups/Staff member’s key children instead of individuals.

It will show you all children/groups/staff, but you can change the periods that it refers to.

By left-clicking on the chart and dragging the mouse, you can select a specific group of data. This will generate a table below the chart that shows the variable, EYFS assessment area, aspect and the average number of months above/below actual age that the child has been assessed at.

2016-08-10_12-39-24.png

Picker Screens

You will find the picker screens at the bottom of the Progress Dashboard.

2016-08-10_12-40-43.png

Alternatively, you can get to it by clicking on the show detail on the appropriate overview sections. i.e. the Group overview if you want to see the Group Picker.

2016-08-10_12-41-36.png

Child Picker Screen

This screen will show you a table with all the children’s names down the left hand side that you have data for (you need to have it for both of the periods that you choose), and the average number of months progress they have made. Their average progress for each aspect of Development Matters will be in the body of the table. As a default they will be ordered alphabetically, but you can change how they are sorted by clicking on the titles. If you were to click on ‘Average’ for example, it would be easier to see which children are progressing the least.

At the top of the screen you are able to change which group of children you see (by default it will show you all children), and which periods are used. You can enter your own custom periods if you would like to see something more specific than is shown from the set periods.

2016-08-10_12-45-21.png

If you would like to see something specific in this table you can set a filter by clicking on the ‘+ Filter’ button directly underneath the last child in your table. In the example shown below I have set it to show me everyone who had progressed 0 to four months in 'Making Relationships' between Spring Term 2 2015/2016 and Summer Term 2 2015/2016. After pressing OK, only Lauren Brown would be left.

2016-08-10_12-47-46.png

If you want to see the distribution dot graph you can do so by clicking 'Show chart'.

On this chart the darker the dot, the more children it refers to. So, you can see that in this group (consists of two children for some areas, and three for others) there have been two instances of extensive negative progress. This occurs in 'Moving and Handling' and 'Numbers'. However, in each circumstance, it has only been the case for one child. 

Whilst this chart is relatively easy to read and understand for small groups of children, it may get difficult when you are dealing with more than six or so.

2016-08-10_12-48-33.png

Group and Staff Progress Picker Screens

The Group and Staff Picker Screens behave in the same way as the child one, described above. The only difference is that it shows the average across the whole group, rather than individual children.

2016-08-10_12-49-27.png

CoEL Section

On the front page of the Analysis section, just below the EYFS box, you will find the CoEL section. This first bit will give you a few statistics about the number of CoEL assessments that have been made for all of your active children ever, and the breakdown of them into each area. As with the EYFS pie chart, you can hover over it to see a more in depth break down of the number and percentage of assessments that have been done for each aspect.

2016-08-10_12-51-17.png

By clicking on the grey banner you will be taken to a page where you can see the same type of thing, but you can choose which group and period it shows. There will also be two options at the bottom, one for the Statement Screen, and one for the Picker Screen.

2016-08-10_13-31-53.png

CoEL Statement Screen

The Statement Screen will show you which statements have been ticked within each area, how many times, and when each was last observed. By clicking on each line, you will be able to see a list of the assessments that statement appears in.

You will have to choose a period, child, and category to see.

Coel.png

The CoEL Picker Screen

The Picker screen essentially shows you the thoroughness for CoEL. For example, in the screen shot below you can see that James Smith, Joshua White and Lauren Brown were observed in 'being involved and concentrating' in Summer Term 2 2015-2016, but only Joshua White was observed in 'keeping on trying'. Mary Poole, Dorothy Parker and Barry Jones weren’t observed in CoEL at all. As there is no data for them, they do not appear on the chart.

2016-08-10_13-37-06.png

Conclusion

So that's it; The whole Analysis section in, what I hope is, a reasonable level of detail.

If you managed to get through the whole thing then well done!

As mentioned at the top, there will be some further changes made in the future, but I will keep you updated with them as they come out!

Best wishes,
Emily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users