Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview for Teaching Assistant

Hi everyone, Im new here and just after a bit of advice and a bit of insight.

I have an interview for next Tuesday at a first school for a teaching assistant position and have to prepare for an activity which they are going to observe me on.

For your observation, we would like you to bring or devise a game of your choosing, suitable for a mixed ability Foundation Stage group of children. This game can be based around any aspect of the curriculum. Please also provide an overview of how you would use the game with these children.

I was just wondering what ideas you would have for the activity as feeling a bit rusty as did a course a few years back and this is my first time ever going for an interview as a teaching assistant as been a stay at home mum and finally now have time to get back and do what i really want to do.

Thanks

Hi and thanks for replying :)

Well i was speaking to someone on Facebook baby group and it being a small world she used to go to that school and her mum is a hlta for the past 30 years there. So she she seems to think the job is for reception, possibly with a child with language difficulties, So she recommend I could devise a game to promote language, but ensuring simple questions and harder for the mixed abilities. So i am thinking something along those lines but coming to a complete blank at the moment.

Thanks

Hi and thanks for replying :)

Well i was speaking to someone on Facebook baby group and it being a small world she used to go to that school and her mum is a hlta for the past 30 years there. So she she seems to think the job is for reception, possibly with a child with language difficulties, So she recommend I could devise a game to promote language, but ensuring simple questions and harder for the mixed abilities. So i am thinking something along those lines but coming to a complete blank at the moment.

Thanks

How about something like a mystery parcel game. Several items wrapped up some easier than others. You can't ask what it is only about it's properties (what's it made off? does it bounce? It's a ball...rubbish example but !!)

Lots of differentiation available from complex language and how and why questions to giving two choice questions and supporting questioning techniques (do you think it's big or small? is it hard or soft etc) eventually someone gets to open the parcel!

LO speaking various age bands.

Thank you that actually sounds like a brilliant idea.

I feel like I could feel confident in doing this game, what sort of items would you recommend i should wrap up and also when would you let the kids open the parcel? Would i just pass the parcel and the person who has the parcel take a guess at what it could be or do i give hints beforehand. I am sorry for all the questions I just have never done anything like this before, I am really excited to have the opportunity of an interview.

Thanks again.

Also when it asks to provide an overview for how you would use this game for the children, what would i all include in that and would i print that out as a document to give to them. Sorry for all the questions, thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)