Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

transition issues again!

finleysmaid

For more than 10 years we have been supporting transition to our local school by sending a member of staff up with the children on their transition day...until today...was told in no uncertain terms that they are not doing it the same way and therefore I am NOT required.

Now apart from the fact that I would have liked a heads up on this I have spent many hours with my families and tell them that I support transition which I am now unable to do....it makes everyone look stupid and I am having trouble keeping my tongue in my mouth and not blurting out the issues that the school is currently having ......(Very long story !)

They are also doing a 2 week part time entry in September which is ridiculous as most of the parent now work and the childminders are busy. We will offer spaces to 'old' pupils normally this would be in conjunction with the school but I think get stuffed comes to mind! :angry:

Rant over

Had to vent....

Feel better now :rolleyes:

Edited by finleysmaid
  • Like 1

Oh fm I would be very unhappy with that situation too :( have they offered any reason for this change?

the schools in a complete mess and they have an 'executive' head in until xmas (she was rude to me day one!!) they are doing one 1.5 hour meeting with parents where children will be taken in to reception and expected to stay there. (blow the key attachment then!) they are going to do home visits (which one of my parents is having a fit about... :o ) then " they will be working to ensure there is a smooth transition with their current nursery in September" HA! :angry:

Actually I have been told that they are doing 2 x 1.5 hour meetings ...one in the morning and one in the afternoon...they have split our children between the two....all of which have been told they are going with their friends :angry: :angry:

Edited by finleysmaid

Wonder if she has been doing it this way in previous schools so feels it is the best way forward.. not much help to you now..

I would be very honest with the parents about why you are not attending with their children as you have in previous years, along lines of the school changing their policy , and not informing you until last minute.

Home visit.. parents have the right to refuse , I would not welcome one , and would ensure all are aware it is not compulsory.. I would be out if school insisted.. :o

September.. I occasionally used to have the children in the setting but found it became disruptive to the new children and could be unsettling for those who had left to come back.. but this is your choice..and needs thinking about..

Such a shame Finleysmaid. It's not an idea that has suddenly come to you overnight, it's a system that has evolved through good practice and has worked! We do the same but next year the school will have a new head, be an academy etc etc so who knows what will happen????

We have the unusual situation of 3 children going to a school out of our catchment, the same school but one we do not normally do transition with. We have had no contact from the school at all and they have started visits for the children. One parent has asked if we have any influence of which classes the children will go into as they are a 3 form entry and she would obviously like her child to go with children he knows.

I sent their transition forms today with a cover letter suggestion that the boys are able to stay together and also suggesting that the reception staff contact us asap.

Our 'natural' feeder school are fab - we visit throughout the year and then final half of term once a week and teacher/TA's visit the children in our setting to see them when they are settled.

I would be honest with the parents - and I would not be keen to offer care for the children who have already left but difficult for the parents.

• Like 1

Thanks all..the only reason we offer care in September is because I can get 2 weeks of extra money !!! (sorry a bit mercenary there!)

Yes I agree I only have one choice to be honest...I usually sugar coat problems but I think they've blown that today!

• Like 2

What happened to respecting each other as fellow professionals?

I'm cross on your behalf and sad for the children that you've supported so well.

I, too, would be honest with the children about the lack of notice or consultation about this change of policy.

Is your leaving process low key enough to adapt and extend into the Autumn term or is coming back going to cause confusion for the children?

• Like 1

What happened to respecting each other as fellow professionals? Good question. Considering this is a senior leader who is just about to take up a position in a new 2-18 yr school maybe she would like to see good early years practice and learn something from us (she's never worked with nursery children!)

I'm cross on your behalf and sad for the children that you've supported so well. Thanks I know i'm still cross because ive slept on it and still feel aggrieved!

I, too, would be honest with the children about the lack of notice or consultation about this change of policy.

Is your leaving process low key enough to adapt and extend into the Autumn term or is coming back going to cause confusion for the children? We have offered afternoon slots for a few years but last year due to a different head they did a quick transition so we couldn't do it. The children we have seem to love coming back ...in fact they rave about it ;) They love it so much that often they 'sell' it to their friends and we get requests for spaces. It is very low key and because there's been 5 weeks holiday in between they don't seem to have a problem. It is a good source of additional funds for us too as we do a staggered start for the newbies so fills in some of the gaps until they are in (lets face it any additional sources of revenue help at the moment) we are supposed to be setting up after school club in September but I am now worried this new head might just scupper our plans...and she fairly obviously doesn't want to play ball :unsure:

I too offer parents option of their children coming back to playgroup after September until they start school. Some do not start until end of September so parents struggle with childcare. Also it does get some children back into good routines after a long summer break. We have had no real issues as children know it is only until school starts for them. It also helps with income too !!!

One mother on my doorstep this morning moaning like mad about home visit....they have said it's compulsory (you can imagine my reaction to that!) they had given her two dates one is her anniversary the other her birthday...she's not interested in having them in her house and said "they are her teachers....they do not need to be her friend" !

• Like 1

Such a shame they do not see parents as partners and antagonise them even before the children start school..

I am sure you gave parent enough support and information for her to follow through and not have home visit.. they can be beneficial but not if parent is against the idea .. in this case they would be a poor experience for all..

Such a shame they do not see parents as partners and antagonise them even before the children start school..

I am sure you gave parent enough support and information for her to follow through and not have home visit.. they can be beneficial but not if parent is against the idea .. in this case they would be a poor experience for all..

the parent in question is an 'ex' nursery nurse! She didn't want this school for her child (it wasn't her first choice) but due to an error in her filling in the paperwork this is the one she's got...so already she's a bit negative and they're just feeding in to bad feelings

• Like 1