Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Commissioner Email

Hi

Has anyone else had an email from the above asking you to complete a survey with regards referrals and Safeguarding. It states that it is a legal requirement for me to complete survey but refers to us as a school not an Early Years Practice. Has anyone else had one?

Thanks in advance

Haven't had an email but have been informed that our LA is being inspected regarding their local offer and we may be asked to give feedback regarding the SEND process in our county: Lincolnshire. Could it be something similar?

I am writing to you because we are issuing a survey to all schools using my statutory legal powers to request data. We would like to find out about the number of referrals made by schools to local authorities and what happens to those referrals. Schools are an integral part of most children and young people's lives. I am also aware that schools are one of the agencies most likely to refer concerns of child sexual abuse to local authorities. However, what is not known is the total number of safeguarding/child protection referrals made by schools, and how many of those referrals are subsequently taken forward by the local authority. I am seeking to understand this issue in greater detail.

As you may be aware, I have legal powers to request this data. These powers are set out in section 2F Children Act 2004 (as inserted by section 110 Children and Families Act 2014):

‘(1) Any person exercising functions of a public nature must supply the Children’s Commissioner with such information in that person’s possession relating to those functions as the Commissioner may reasonably request for the purposes of the primary function or the function under section 2D.

(2) The information must be information which that person would, apart from subsection (1), lawfully be able to disclose to the Commissioner.’

I am using these powers to request this data and I would be very grateful if you could complete this survey. Your responses will help me and my Office understand the role being played by schools in the prevention of sexual abuse, and the ways in which schools can be supported to discharge this role more effectively.

The information will be shared with my office. All responses to this survey will be collated and analysed to inform work on child sexual abuse, and may also inform other areas of work. All identifiable information will be anonymised. If I choose to publish any information, only aggregate figures will be reported (e.g. “75% of secondary schools teach children about internet safety”).

Please click here to access the survey. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my research team on research.inquiry@childrenscommissioner.gsi.gov.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I think I've been sent it in error due to numerous mentions of schools but when i suggested this on the phone I was told that as I had received it I have to do it!! So keep you eyes peeled it could be coming your way!!!

‘(1) Any person exercising functions of a public nature must supply the Children’s Commissioner with such information in that person’s possession relating to those functions as the Commissioner may reasonably request for the purposes of the primary function or the function under section 2D.

(2) The information must be information which that person would, apart from subsection (1), lawfully be able to disclose to the Commissioner.’

Many childcare settings receive public money, ie funded children, so "functions of a public nature" come into force. it is reasonable to request this information in order to improve referrals of this nature in the future. You now need to find out what information is Lawful to disclose?

The survey is suspended at this time I noticed, when clicking to it via the link.. so it is hard to see what questions they require answers to. "The number of referrals made by schools to local authorities" is quite easy to answer, of course we can send that number to them, without disclosing anything else. I suspect that a lot more demographic information will be required and possibly more personal information? This is where it might cross the line?

Anyway, this is very interesting and let's see if many more receive this request for information.