Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Nursery teacher?!

Hello,

Does anybody know the rules and regulations for Nursery staffing? Do you have to have a qualified teacher for a Nursery within a mainstream school? If not, how many nursery nurses etc would be acceptable?

Thank you for any help/advice!

I'm not sure but thought that it had to be a QTS if it is run as part of the school, and so therefore 1:13 and 1:8 for any additional staff.

If it is part of the school but run as a separate PVI provision (which is what a lot of schools around our area do even though it's Governor run) then they don't have to have a teacher in place.

That's the way I understand it anyway.

You must have a qualified teacher for a nursery class in a school. You can be covered for short term cover like PPA by a non QT if they are under the direction of the QT. You must also have a level 3 or above other person with a ratio of 1:13 which in most nursery classes is a minimum of 2:26 places.

Check the statutory framework - it's laid out in there.

Cx

• Like 1

You must have a qualified teacher for a nursery class in a school. You can be covered for short term cover like PPA by a non QT if they are under the direction of the QT. You must also have a level 3 or above other person with a ratio of 1:13 which in most nursery classes is a minimum of 2:26 places.

Check the statutory framework - it's laid out in there.

Cx

If it's Governor run but registered separately though, am I right in thinking that they don't need a QTS?

Thank you, I have read the EY framework about having a qualified teacher but I wasn't sure if this was just guidance or a legal requirement! It is a mainstream nursery that is run with school (not run separately)

SB :)

Thank you, I have read the EY framework about having a qualified teacher but I wasn't sure if this was just guidance or a legal requirement! It is a mainstream nursery that is run with school (not run separately)

SB :)

Therefore as a nursery class it must have a QT plus level 3 or above!

Cx

Gosh 1:8 for Level 3's? I am in a maintained nursery class as part of the school. I am the QT and there are 2 Level 3's. We all have 1:13; so are you saying that the Level 3's in our Nursery should only have 1:8? Bit confused now as we have been running like this for years

I had misunderstood the statutory framework. I thought a level 3 always had to be in ratio of 1:8.

3.33.For children aged three and over in registered early years provision where a person with Qualified Teacher Status, [...] is working directly with the children

• there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children; and

• at least one other member of staff must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification.

If it's Governor run but registered separately though, am I right in thinking that they don't need a QTS?

That's right. A school near us has a nursery class registered separately, run by the school governors and does not have a QTS, only level 3 staff in charge.

• Like 1

Gosh 1:8 for Level 3's? I am in a maintained nursery class as part of the school. I am the QT and there are 2 Level 3's. We all have 1:13; so are you saying that the Level 3's in our Nursery should only have 1:8? Bit confused now as we have been running like this for years

You are ok apple, it is 1 to every 13 one of which must be a QT, and one a level 3.

As you say many nurseries in schools have run this way for many many years..except one LA I worked in where it was 1 to 10...It was quite a shock to me to move to 1 to 13!

• Like 1

I often worked with 39 children (or occasionally 52) as the only QT with 2 TAs in a maintained nursery class.

The clue word is 'every' I think so one adult for every 13 children. I've never quite understood where this notion of only the QT can have the ratio 1 to 13 has come from because there is nothing in the statutory framework suggesting this.

I did ask Ofsted at one time and they did clarify the 1:13 for the setting I ran with an EYP working with the children - a while ago now but yes we could have 16 children and 2 staff.. 1 EYP and 1 level 3.. (PVI in church hall ) (and had we been able to 39 with 3 staff)

not that we ever did but except for an emergency situation when we had staff cover issues , meant we could open and not have to close.. we were in ratio..

Must admit I got it in writing as the chairperson at the time also asked Ofsted and got a very different answer.. which was the 1:8 for the level 3 and 1:13 for the EYP...

Always thought this was a way to reduce costs and be viable on the income supplied by the government.

[...] I've never quite understood where this notion of only the QT can have the ratio 1 to 13 has come from because there is nothing in the statutory framework suggesting this.

Yes, here:

3.33. For children aged three and over in registered early years provision where a person with Qualified Teacher Status [...] is working directly with the children there must be at least one member of staff for every 13 children [...]

I had 39 children with me and two NNs - quite standard for us teachers!

but then presumably they have to run to 1-8????

If the provision is a separately run registered provision then yes the lower ratio level for registered provision would apply.

Cx

but then presumably they have to run to 1-8????

Yes, they do. It is under the umbrella of the school but is run in the same way as a PVI setting. The difference is, the Foundation 2 teacher has input into the planning.

The ratios are organised in the stautory framework between registered provision and maintained and are quite specifically defined. For a school the QT status on top of degree is an employment requirement. In a setting the EYP/T would be the equivalent degree level qualification hence they can have 1:13.

Cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)