Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do your staff wear flip flops?

We have a uniform for staff (preschool provided polo shirts & fleece, dark jeans or dark smart trousers, or 3/4 length trousers), & a policy about footwear.

We allow any colour shoes, trainers or boots, no more than 1 inch heel, must be closed over toes & fit round the back of the foot. So in summer, mules or flip flops are a no-go, jelly shoes are fine.

Various staff are asking about being able to wear flip flops, & it's going to be put to the directors to make the decision.

I know I don't like them, I don't think they look professional to parents/carers, visitors or passers by. I also don't think it's fair to say staff can wear them when I'll keep saying children can't.

But I did say I'd find out what others settings do...

So, do your staff wear flip flops?

No we dont.

Was an issue on reasons of health and safety when we were visited by a professional carrying out risk assessment for SEN child and his equipment. The reasons being that his walker and/or the wheely stool staff use could run over their toes!!

Do think though that its down to the setting.

Its a h&s myth that they ban them

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/jun09.htm

Also, if you need to get to a child quickly who is running across the room or playground, you just cannot move quickly or safely enough in flip flops. I had a nasty accident myself crossing the road wearing "fit flops" when I moved quickly and awkwardly and fell over. God forbid I could have been in charge of a child at the same time.

• Like 2

I think they can look pretty as leisure wear. Like most things, it's about time and place. Sandals can give the same level of comfort, not make the flipping noise and are fastened more securely to the feet thus making them safer.

We have a dress code that we ask students to adhere to. I think flip flops are dangerous for work activities (and you can't kick a ball in them!) I think they look scruffy and not very professional. And don't get me started on crocs!!!

• Like 1

We have a dress code that we ask students to adhere to. I think flip flops are dangerous for work activities (and you can't kick a ball in them!) I think they look scruffy and not very professional. And don't get me started on crocs!!!

Agree with you on the flip flops, I think they are dangerous and look scruffy. However some styles of crocs, the proper branded crocs can be quite sensible and smart, those ones with the holes in though are awful *shudder*

We have a uniform for staff (preschool provided polo shirts & fleece, dark jeans or dark smart trousers, or 3/4 length trousers), & a policy about footwear.

We allow any colour shoes, trainers or boots, no more than 1 inch heel, must be closed over toes & fit round the back of the foot. So in summer, mules or flip flops are a no-go, jelly shoes are fine.

Various staff are asking about being able to wear flip flops, & it's going to be put to the directors to make the decision.

I know I don't like them, I don't think they look professional to parents/carers, visitors or passers by. I also don't think it's fair to say staff can wear them when I'll keep saying children can't.

But I did say I'd find out what others settings do...

So, do your staff wear flip flops?

No, as you say, it doesn't look very good, we insist that children do not wear open toe footwear in case their feet are trampled on and therefore insist that staff also wear closed shoes.

I think it should be down to individual choice. I have arthritis and find comfortable shoes difficult to find so in winter tend to wear boots. In the summer find it much easier to get comfortable sandals as my feet are not enclosed. There is absolutely no way I could wear boots on a warm day. I have over 25 years experience of working with children including SEN children in chairs and I don't ever recall hurting myself because I was in sandals.

I hate to see jeans and trainers in the work place as I don't feel it looks professional. So I guess its each to their own.

I'm ambivalent about the jeans - when I started at the preschool, 17 years ago, there was no uniform or written dress code, & wearing unripped jeans & new-looking trainers made one look at least as well dressed as most parents. Then, when uniform was brought in, it was jogging trousers which I think were hideous even when not ripped! So, smart black trousers came in as a backlash against the jogging trousers. But they are not as warm as jeans nor do they last as long as jeans (or have potential life outside preschool when too worn for work), so I understand why the new rules allow jeans.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't allow flip flops (I worry about them being a trip hazard more than anything!) but in the hotter months I do allow sandals or jelly shoes. As long as they're tied or strapped around the back of the foot I'm happy for them to wear something a bit more comfortable.

They sign to say that they wear open toe shoes at their own risk and we cannot be blamed for any accidents or injuries incurred that could have been prevented by wearing closed toe shoes

I love my flip flops (smart leather, not nasty plastic!) and although I ask that the children do not wear them, I do wear them at preschool. This is on the basis that I have now more than adequately learnt how to walk up and down stairs without tripping or stumbling, unlike the preschool children. They understand this.

Lets face it, there has to be some advantage in being an adult.....

• Like 2

Elder son was at college the other day and a fellow student stood on his foot and was very apologetic - he pointed out that as he was wearing motorbike boots instead of catering shoes, there was enough steel capping in them that he didn't feel it ;)

The directors have compromised by saying staff can have peep toe shoes but that they still must go round the heel rather than being flip-flops.

I had my new summer shoes on today and had 2 children and 1 parent stand on them on the way in ...

Maybe I need motorbike boots too! :lol: