Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Communication and Language Assessment Tool

Hello all,

I'm currently in a preschool setting for my Early Years Teacher Training and I'm acting as a Key Person for some children. One child has EAL and I'd like to conduct a communication and language assessment/audit to gauge his levels of development. He's going to school this September and has a rather 'fleeting attention', does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use?

Since I'm making a topic, I'm also required to create a resource to support communication and language development. I'm going to try to create something to support the aforementioned EAL child, does anyone have any ideas? What has worked well for you?

Thank you in advance!

HI there. This 'every child a talker' booklet might be useful, old now but some ideas to get you started.

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2011/10/every-child-a-talker-guidance-for-early-language-lead-practitioners/

Many LAs developed their own monitoring tools so maybe worth asking yours if they have one but here's the national strategies

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2011/10/every-child-a-talker-child-monitoring-tool/

We usually recommend that you find out from parents where possible what their language at home is like, to gauge if there are any language development difficulties in their home language.

hope that's helps to start with.

We use lots of makaton signs and symbols and then role modeling language, repeating, extending and commentating all recommended by SAL therapists. Lots of praise for good talking, singing nursery rhymes. Also use a talking photo album to record things in home language from mum.

We create a communication book for each individual child with SAL difficulties with photos and makaton so that a child can communicate by pointing and we can use whilst talking.

Just a few things that may help?

Thanks for the responses! I use Makaton quite frequently and have a small key chain of cards with symbols that I can use. The monitoring tool is interesting to see a more specific breakdown of speech sounds, thanks

I'm specifically looking for some means of testing his understanding though. I'm sure I've used something before where you have objects/pictures and ask questions that test their understanding - does anyone know what I mean?

Thanks for the responses! I use Makaton quite frequently and have a small key chain of cards with symbols that I can use. The monitoring tool is interesting to see a more specific breakdown of speech sounds, thanks

I'm specifically looking for some means of testing his understanding though. I'm sure I've used something before where you have objects/pictures and ask questions that test their understanding - does anyone know what I mean?

Rob - I know exactly what you mean - at least i think I do! :1b

I use a Communication screen - this was provided many, many moons ago by SALT - I could always send you a hard copy if you pm your address - nothing on computer I'm afraid - however it wouldn't be a lot of use because you wouldn't have the pictures/cards that go with it.........

Not sure which part of Kent you are - but I would try your local SALT team

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse my unresponsiveness, dissertation hand in and all that! I found what I was looking for in the end, the setting already had the kind of tool I wanted and intended on carrying it out with the child I had in mind anyway

That looks like the right sort of thing, though it seems I would have to take out a mortgage to buy it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)