Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Yet another committee chair resigned!

My 3rd committee chair in 2 years has resigned tonight citing that she didn't understand the extent of the role. I'm the manager but not on the committee. Is it possibke for me to be on the committee and nominated person and manager? I just want to try to end this cycle of people who dont really fully understand the role trying to do it for a few months and then giving up! I have such trouble getting through to Ofsted when I call, but I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Any advice much appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your first post of (hopefully) many.

Yes, there's no reason why you shouldn't be on the committee if you are working to the latest PSLA constitution. I always had to 'hand hold' the Chair and rather carry them along, or they would have run a mile from the post. It's a lot to expect an untrained volunteer to take on.

You need to make sure that you are running on the constitution that allows you as a trustee of the charity to be paid, otherwise you will not be allowed to be the nominated person with ofsted and the charity commission will have a problem with the set up. If concerned can I suggest you contact your accountant/financial advisor and they will check it for you

I've always understood the paid bit to be about being paid for duties relating to the task. So not being paid for the time you are working on committee jobs. Oops, possibly ...........

Just a word of warning - the scenario is better but whoever your new Chair is will still need to be really up on safeguarding etc - Ofsted will want to speak to them at an inspection - I am the manager and do all the committee tasks so our committee are just named roles and we nearly came unstuck as the Chair was not as knowledgeable as she should have been.

Just a word of warning - the scenario is better but whoever your new Chair is will still need to be really up on safeguarding etc - Ofsted will want to speak to them at an inspection - I am the manager and do all the committee tasks so our committee are just named roles and we nearly came unstuck as the Chair was not as knowledgeable as she should have been.

Thanks! Our Chair people tend to change annually as it all gets a bit much for them, it's really tiresome! They are also probably not clued up enough on things like safeguarding as they are not the ones in the setting, so we will have to make sure that they have more of an understanding.

My 3rd committee chair in 2 years has resigned tonight citing that she didn't understand the extent of the role. I'm the manager but not on the committee. Is it possibke for me to be on the committee and nominated person and manager? I just want to try to end this cycle of people who dont really fully understand the role trying to do it for a few months and then giving up! I have such trouble getting through to Ofsted when I call, but I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. Any advice much appreciated!

I feel your pain!

Sorry hopeytg- thats not strictly true. Our inspector didnt ask to meet our Chair, let alone quiz her on safeguarding etc.

If no advance/half a days notice is given on inspection they cannot possibly expect people (as in committee members) to drop everything to meet them. Our Chair happened to be on holiday last Dec when Ofsted came calling. Our two previous Chairs to her were both in full time jobs who I only ever saw at committee meetings and mostly communicated with via email.

Sorry hopeytg- thats not strictly true. Our inspector didnt ask to meet our Chair, let alone quiz her on safeguarding etc.

If no advance/half a days notice is given on inspection they cannot possibly expect people (as in committee members) to drop everything to meet them. Our Chair happened to be on holiday last Dec when Ofsted came calling. Our two previous Chairs to her were both in full time jobs who I only ever saw at committee meetings and mostly communicated with via email.

ofsted do expect to see the nominated person as of Septembers schedule. In the unlikely event of them not being available (eg on holiday) then perhops they would be ok (???) but they do expect nominated persons to come in ....hence why I am trying to stay the nominated person!!!!

The problem we would have in that case Finleysmaid is my nominated person is a member of staff so although we may be able to spare one person for managers 'question time' and feedback, we definitely couldn't spare two from ratio. So, would nominated person trump manager????

Well why would the nominated person not being available be an unlikely event Finleysmaid?

As already stated ours is a full time worker, cant see them taking the day off at a moments notice.

Many of our parents work, some take holidays during term time as well.

Hopefully by the time our next inspection happens I will be long gone ;)

• Like 1

Hi, I am the manager of our setting and I was also the nominated person but Ofsted have told me that as of Jan this year managers of settings can no longer be the nominated person, and it has to be someone from committee?? Its been a real pain getting everything changed around.

Welcome Sand castles. You will probably see that we have spent many an hour on this forum discussing the way in which Ofsted has handled the whole nominated person, manager, committee member 'situation' and I'm sure it will continue to rumble on.

Hi, I am the manager of our setting and I was also the nominated person but Ofsted have told me that as of Jan this year managers of settings can no longer be the nominated person, and it has to be someone from committee?? Its been a real pain getting everything changed around.

Welcome to the forum :1b

Are you a general committee member?

I am and there was no problem at all - so I am Manager, Nominated Person & General Committee Member.

Welcome to the forum :1b

Are you a general committee member?

I am and there was no problem at all - so I am Manager, Nominated Person & General Committee Member.

but you've got the right version of the constitution in place !!!! ;)

I however am still having the MOST horrendous nightmare with ofsted about this!!!!!!!

• Like 1

The problem we would have in that case Finleysmaid is my nominated person is a member of staff so although we may be able to spare one person for managers 'question time' and feedback, we definitely couldn't spare two from ratio. So, would nominated person trump manager????

nominated person does not need to be in feedback...they only want to feed back to manager (I had to argue to be allowed someone else in!) but if an inspector asks two of you to be involved you can refuse. We had this problem a while ago when we had three on duty and two inspectors...which left 1 person with the children I complained and this was upheld!

Inspection handbook

(p9 para 35, 36....)

"initiate a professional relationship between the inspector and the provider or their representative", "Make arrangements with the nominated person, where appropriate, to give them the opportunity to be present at the feedback meeting"

(p13, para 49)

The inspector should meet with the provider or their representative" "request that the nominated person or their representative is invited"

(p19, para 83)

"The inspector must meet the provider of or, if the provider is not present, the manager"

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)