Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Technology

Wildflowers

Very unclear post... Another attempt:
The ELG for technology doesn't mention computers. 'Select and use technology for particular purposes' could be understood as using a whisk for whipping cream and a telephone for making a call. However, the non-statutory DMs for the oldest children are about computers. My question is, can a child meet the ELG for technology without using a computer?

I don't think a whisk would count as it is technical equipment rather than technological equipment. They both perform a function but equipment such as a whisk tends to be classed as mechanical. Our Ofsted inspector explained to us that mechanical equipment of some sort has always been available but the point of the requirement is that children are being prepared for the world as it is today so advised anything digital or with switches would count as technology - including mobile phones, torches, toys which light up/make sounds when pressed, CD player, radio etc. However, at pre-school stage, it is ideal if they have some access to a computer at some point - doesn't have to be continuous access but maybe occasional use of a laptop/tablet or an interactive programme on a big screen at circle time, or being taken in groups to an area where there is a computer to do a specific activity.

• Like 1

Thanks ~ that was helpful. So the word 'technology' in the goal should make it clear that it is about the use of things that are digital or with switches. I've just never thought of the difference between technical and technological equipment. (The dictionary definition is broader, e.g. 'Technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practial purposes') It would perhaps be helpful if DfE used 'ICT' instead of just 'technology'... (Select and use information and communication technology for particular purposes.)

We can't (and don't want to) offer a selection of things for free use, but will continue to occasionally show and let children press buttons on our camera and my laptop, under supervision, whilst we talk about whats and hows, and perhaps whys (the children, not me). I can also bring a printer/scanner/copier and tablet to the setting for occasional demonstration and trials. Other than that, we have to rely on information from parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)