Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Presentation to parents and committee

Hello I've been asked to deliver an information session to parents and committee on the EYFS for about 15 mins. To share how we deliver EYFs etc. Could anyone share a PowerPoint or ideas to start me off.

Thanks in advance. (I've not presented before so feeling a bit wobbly about it!)

• Like 1

Sorry, I can't offer any advice. This is something that we have spoken about recently to try and encourage parents to understand the important role they play in their child's development. I understand the nervousness you are feeling. Watching with interest!!

• Like 1

This is something that I really want to organise for my parents. I believe it's so important for parents to understand what their child is engaging in and they quality education they receive from good practitioners.

The EYFS have released a reviewed version of EYFS Parents Guide available via google web search. Type in - 'what to expect when parents guide EYFS' and it will give you the option of a department of education document that's in pdf format. (I have tried to copy and paste the link but it won't let me)

This document is a bit lengthy, however I would keep it available on/next to your parents board for future reference but highlight it during the information meeting.

I believe it is important that the parents acknowledge the characteristics of effective learning, so that they can see that it is just as equally important that they recognise how a child learns rather that what a child learns.

I would encourage them to send in photos/share news/observations on a regular basis which helps us form accurate assessments on the children's holistic development and would also take this opportunity to request their time for talent sharing or activities they may want to come into the setting and lead.

I would leave it there if you're tied to 15 minutes.

I would give them a hand out of good websites (including Pinterest..my absolute bible) to refer to and ensure that the parents information board is kept up to date from that day forward.

Hope this helps ::1a

As for presenting your piece, just make sure you practice loads, even if it's to the children, people at home and of course your manager.

Ask your manager and any other staff that are willing to volunteer their time to support you and be on hand to answer any questions you may be faced with from parents.

• Like 1

Hi Skippy

Could you use pictures of the children playing in the session and explain what the children are learning 'Through Play' and how, what ever activity they are engaged in can cover all the areas. Or better still, why not take them round the playroom you set up ever day for the parents to use, so they can see for themselves what they can learn from the different areas/activities, I think they will be plesantly suprised and more fun than just sitting.

Good Luck

• Like 2

I like Manor's idea of using photos. Fifteen minutes isn't long - if you used photos to demonstrate how you are supporting the prime and specific areas of learning and how that is all underpinned by COEL that should do you. You could also maybe squeeze in a bit about brain architecture and how important it is for children to revisit / rehearse skills to consolidate learning (the Professor Winston clip is good for this) and to support schemas. Good luck!

• Like 1

I like Manor's idea of using photos. Fifteen minutes isn't long - if you used photos to demonstrate how you are supporting the prime and specific areas of learning and how that is all underpinned by COEL that should do you. You could also maybe squeeze in a bit about brain architecture and how important it is for children to revisit / rehearse skills to consolidate learning (the Professor Winston clip is good for this) and to support schemas. Good luck!

Thanks Everyone Its just getting started with it!! MarshaD do you have a link to clip mentioned?

Thanks

Skippy