Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted requirements of policies and procedures

Wendy123

The PSLA has a publication on Policies and Procedures. If you purchase this book you are then given a unique code for updates on policies and current legislation requirements.

We use this document as a starting point and omit items not relevant to our setting.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Policies, staff training, DBS, display docs up to date, safeguarding (training, policies, staff recruitment) parents partnership, how do you track childrens progress, - my staff were asked what they thought had changed since our last inspection. Staff member mentioned about BV & Prevent- luckily we had, had a big discussion on this just a couple weeks previous (I had done an online course) equally luckily I had heard a lot of this conversation, so when Inspector asked me how we were implementing etc I could answer almost the same as my staff member.

EYPP (IF ANY)

• 2 weeks later...

There are many policies and procedures you should have in place. This is regardless if Ofsted are interested to see them or not. I don't believe there is a list that is statutory, but it stands to reason we need them.

Here is a list of ours to give you some ideas:

Staff to read

1.Nappy Policy
2.Toilet Training
3.Answering the door
4.Allegation against a member of staff
5.Health and Safety
6.Sleeping
7.Head Lice
8.Whistle Blowing
9.Active play
10.Water Play
11.Health Policy
12.Racial Harassment
13.Staff Sickness, Return to work
14.Stress
15.Noise
16.Suitable Persons
17.Outings, Visits
18.Redundancy
19.Buildings
20.Equipment
21.Physical Environment
22.Student Placement
23.Recruitment & Selection

Staff and Parents to read

1. Parent Partnership
2. Admissions
3. Settling In
4. Special Education Needs
5. Arrival and Departure
6. CCTV
7. Complaints
8. Comfort Items
9. Curriculum
10. Equal Opportunities
11. Equality and Diversity
12. Inclusion
13. Festivals
14. Anti-Bullying
15. Healthy Eating
16. Accident & Incident
17. Illness
18. Infection and Communicable Diseases
19. Allergy
20. Key Person
21. Late Collection
22. Medication
23. Safeguarding Overview
23b. Safeguarding Procedure (In depth)
24. Sun Protection
25. Positive Behaviour
26. Suspension and Exclusion
27. Outdoor Play
28. Nappy Changing & Toilet Training
29. Toy Selection
30. Separated Parents
31. Transition
32. No Smoking
33. Personal Electronic Devices
34. Relationships
35. Social Networking
36. Data Protection
37. Confidentiality Policy
38. Visitors
39. Learning Journey Policy

We update them every so often :P - usually when a legislation changes ie the most recent with the Prevent Duty - needed to update Safeguarding, Equality and Positive behaviour i believe, many are pretty straight forward and if the environment changes some might need altering etc.. it's not something i worry about too much.

• Like 1

My goodness, I struggle to keep up with ours and its nowhere near as long as yours!

Can I ask why do you have 'answering the door' policy? Looking through your lists I can see that we do have most of them but ours are combined with each other for instance Allegations against staff would be in Safeguarding, Racial Harassment would be in Equal Ops or Equality & Diversity (which is what our Equal Ops used to be called) Is there a difference between Equal ops and Equality & Diversity?

Our Answering the door policy is mainly for staff that are unfamiliar with parents, and usually new staff or students. We also have a intercom system that we need to buzz people into the main door, and then we unlock the entrance to our nursery. We felt this needed a policy, or procedure to be more precise.

Yes combining policies would help i agree and make the list shorter. I missed the (children) bracket on the Equality & Diversity Policy, • To ensure that all children feel secure, included and valued - etc so is more tailored to children within our setting.

Yes this is a last resort type of policy and "just in case"

Suspension and Exclusion Policy

Broad Oaks Nursery is committed to dealing with negative behaviour in a non-confrontational and constructive manner. Wherever possible, disruptive or challenging behaviour will be tackled collectively between staff, children and parents, as outlined in our Positive Behaviour Policy.

However, there may be times when such strategies alone will not alter or prevent negative behaviour. In such cases, further action will be necessary, including reviewing a child’s place at the Nursery, on either a temporary or permanent basis.

As a last resort, Broad Oaks Nursery reserves the right to temporarily suspend or permanently exclude a child in the event of persistent and irresolvable unacceptable behaviour, where the behaviour is detrimental to:

• children in our care

• staff

• or the Nursery as a whole.

Furthermore, a parent/carer’s failure to recognise their child’s continued undesirable behaviour, or to support the Nursery and their child in dealing with or rectifying this behaviour, may result in termination of the child’s place.

Four weeks’ written notice will be given in the above circumstances.

In the case of a temporary suspension, when this is over and before the child is allowed to return to the Nursery, there will be a discussion between staff, and the parent/carer, setting out the conditions of their return.

Only in the event of an extremely serious or dangerous incident will a child be suspended from the Nursery with immediate effect. In such circumstances, the child’s parent/carer will be contacted immediately and asked to collect their child.

After an immediate suspension has taken place, the Nursery Manager will arrange a meeting with the parents/carers to discuss the incident and decide if it will be possible for them to return to the Nursery.

Management will ensure that any suspension or exclusion will be seen as consistent, fair and proportionate to the behaviour concerned. In setting such a sanction, consideration will be given to the child’s age and maturity. Any other relevant information about the child and their situation will also be considered.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)