Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

planning to schema, any good ideas?

I have been identifying schemas in a group of children at pre-school this morning and am trying to find ways of extending their learning outside. They are all use predominantly physical play and trajectory is the main schema. I want to plan some engaging activities for them but am at a bit of a loss as what to try. I thought about some possible throwing games and perhaps some element of racing as they seem to like chasing games. I would love some ideas if any of you have some? thanks in advance.

Bean bag (or something else) into a basket from a distance.

Bean bags to knock over a tower of small bricks.

Mud balls onto a tree and watch them 'explode'.

Stones into a puddle and watch the splash and rings.

Water with a large syringe onto a wall where the water would be visible.

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 1

Bean bag (or something else) into a basket from a distance.

Bean bags to knock over a tower of small bricks.

Mud balls onto a tree and watch it 'explode'.

Stones into a puddle and watch the splash and rings.

Water with a large syringe onto a wall where the water would be visible.

mud balls into a tree! omg loving that! lol ( i can feel the eyes rolling and back stabbing already! lol ) thank you xxx

• Like 3

We have a box of woolly pom poms made from old wool as not as heavy as bean bags so safer to use for throwing activities indoors, and can be washed (carefully!) if we use outdoors.

You could colour code the throwing activities, e.g. red bean bags into red bucket or hoop. How about a simple relay race to put bean bags in a bucket in teams?

• Like 2

Thank you all x I had an epic session for my trajectory children yesterday! ending with a game of bucket ball where you fill a bucket with ball pit balls, the group stand around in a circle and you pick a child to stand in the middle with the bucket of balls and they have to throw the balls at the other children as quick as they can to empty the bucket, stuck a bit of maths and mark making in there by having another group with and adult using a stop watch and recording the times. Once they got the hang of the game they loved it! lol

Edited by twinthinguk
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

Have you ever wondered:

Where the schema that you are observing comes from?

How children develop new schemas?

How you can 'seed' the child's learning within, and towards new schema's?

Athey, Bruce and Nutbrown have all shown some recognition that schemas connect, evolve and support complex concepts but they have been unable to explain how this actually works in theory or in practice because they have not taken up the challenge that was first identified by Athey who argued that progress was being hindered by our failure to apply Piaget's differentiation between figurative 'schemas' and operative 'schemes'. Athey suggested that this fundamental difference between operative and figurative thinking was “worthy of further study” (Athey, 1990, p 113-14): That is precisely what we have been doing at the University of Plymouth.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)