Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Play Packs' (or 'home learning bags') - ideas!

JJA

Hi,

I am just developing some 'Play Packs' for families to borrow to support play and learning at home. I have decided not to call them 'Home learning bags' as I thought this might put pressure on parents or worry them about what 'learning' is and might take the fun out of it! (NB: We toyed with calling them 'fun bags' until someone pointed out the obvious!)

Anyway, I've started the ball rolling with story books and finger puppets, then want to add some activities alongside this [for example: with the 'Little Red Hen' book there is a set of finger puppets and a recipe card with 2 different, child friendly, bread recipes) but I'm stuck at this more 'story sack' idea...

Can you wonderful people share some of your best 'Home Learning Bag' ideas?

• Like 1

Our most popular bag is the one with a small piece of rope; a dozen coloured pegs; five pairs of socks in different colours and sizes and Nick Sharratts book called 'Socks'. Children love the matching of sizes and patterns/colours - matching pegs to socks, pegging them on the line and reading the book with parents. In the instructions we encourage parents to discuss 'bigger and smaller' and to get the children to name the colours. Some of the younger ones struggle with the pegs but it's helping their FMS so all good. Parents report that they often spend half an hour or more with it and that the children often want to put the socks on themselves or teddies so it helps with dressing themselves too - we do get lots of children asking to take it home again.

• Like 4

Hi,

This idea appeals to me. At the moment our Pre-sschool children take home homweork sheets to complete. We are trying (sometimes in vain ) to move away from the worksheets to a more practical hands on approcach to homework. However the children and parents love the sheets! These home learning bags sound like they might be a way to help move away to something new. Do ou have any extra info on them? how to create? ideas? how parents recieved them etc? Thanks . T x

I created a set of boxes...I called them chatter boxes. they are just shoe boxes that I covered and filled with a variety of resources I had at pre-school. The themes I picked are

beach and sea

feelings

senses

community helpers

occupations

space

transport

each box has a collection of items to promote language and communication. Some have play dough, books, puppets, small world resources, mirrors, all sorts really! All they cost me was time to make them. I added small note books to each one and ask the parents to write a few sentences about how they used the boxes with the children. I introduced the boxes on a parents evening and explained how they work and how great they are. They have been very popular.

each one of my boxes has instructions with hints and tips on how to share the items so that parents do actually use them with their child!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)