Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

WALT

Does anyone in reception use WALT/WILF with the children? I am new to reception - I am using it and the children love it, but I was told at a recent observation that it is 'out of date'! :(

I do use WALT and WILF sometimes, (I remember when they first came in!) but increasingly using 'Steps to Success' instead as this approach gives children a very clear structure.

I have a big gold star on the ceiling (success) and some gold ribbon tails coming down so I can peg 'steps' on them as I'm talking with the class.

So writing at this time of year will include - success: a clear message to the office. S to S: tell me/your talking partner what you want to write, think what sounds you can hear, write your letters next top each other, use a letter mat to help.

Maths will be along the lines of success: enough cubes for all the teddies S to S: 'move each cube as you count it, say the number names out loud, ask your partner to check'

Sometimes I really push the boat out and have a page of a SMART notebook with S to S on it, and then I can get quite flashy, but don't use the iwb daily and find the 'real' card steps more useful as they can stay up for reference throughout the session.

It has been going around for a long time but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. My daughter's school uses it and they have a little walt and wilt character across the school with speech bubbles saying what is expected. At my school we have I can statements and steps to success. Same thing really!

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)