Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Complete overhaul or just update

Mouseketeer

and in true style I'm also pretty sure we were told not to bullet point :blink: any Ofsted inspectors on here? if so what would you like to see?!

I think you are probably right - I think that comes from there being a need to explain why we do things as opposed to just listing what we do........but hey if you are a skilled bullet point user you can still achieve that ;):D

• Like 3

I cut out all the lists of what we do and tried to write ( as it asks for) how we impact the children's learning and development which our every day routines ect. Not an easy task to say the least, but ours is much shorter this time. I am by no means expert at writing any sort of reports or documents, It would be useful if Ofsted provided a sample so we could have some sort of idea, but like another poster pointed out, its not compulsory if you have some other form of self evaluation in place. ( or has that changed too!) .

SEF is not compulsory yet but of course it's best practice. It is after all very nice of Ofsted to have this facility that we can all use for guidance and ease of communication :D (just in case they do read this thread :P creep )

Yep it's one of those jobs that just get's put off for another day and regarding bullet points, well it makes it easier to read i guess and that can only be good. Although i am sure you nice Ofsted inspector loves a good long winded novel to help them fall asleep to at nights and so maybe better to help them not to be grumpy in morning they visit! :rolleyes:

I'd psyched myself up to tackle the 'Outcomes' section, having decided to just put a brief opening statement about ensuring we strive to improve outcomes for our children through self-evaluation, mentoring, monitoring, staff supervisions, questionnaires to all stakeholders blah de blah and then bullet point listing all the things we've put in place/changed etc...with why and the outcomes and guess what .............the site is down for maintenance till Monday !!!

• Like 2

I'd psyched myself up to tackle the 'Outcomes' section, having decided to just put a brief opening statement about ensuring we strive to improve outcomes for our children through self-evaluation, mentoring, monitoring, staff supervisions, questionnaires to all stakeholders blah de blah and then bullet point listing all the things we've put in place/changed etc...with why and the outcomes and guess what .............the site is down for maintenance till Monday !!!

Murphy's law that :D

• Like 1

Have been tackling mine all day today - this is all new to me, been managing for just over a year now and we were registered as a new setting last August and like everyone else have been putting it off as feel not really sure what i am doing with it!

I am about half way through and started with bullet points which have now turned into bullet pointed paragraphs! :unsure:

Read through what i have written but thinking i now have bits in wrong areas - decided will go to bed and start again tomorrow.

Why do we get so stressed over something that's not even a 'requirement'! :huh:

• Like 1

Good point Wookie....I think it's the one thing (biggest one thing) that moves from one TDL to the next, it's a massive sense of achievement when finally done, you sit back thinking you can just add bits as and when...but OH NO they have to go and change it !

I couldn't get in, and a red message telling about maintainence...I guess I could do in word and paste in when back up :-/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok sorry to hijack post........ Completing my SEF and my mind is buzzing. I find it time consuming, not useable for us too wordy even when I try to bullet point. Not a workable document to have at the setting. Too wordy for staff to be interested or have an input.

I have done one before, it was read by inspector before arriving, have not changed it since (5 yrs)

So here's the thing after reading numerous advice, examples consultancy advice I read on a site, that if it is not working for you, if it is not a wow show you off, highlight your strengths and show how you evaluate and improve, don't write it use something else that works for you

So I have sat here on my day off (!!!!!! What's one of those I here you ask) and have decided I think to write a detailed improvement plan instead.

I think ........ Thoughts ?

I'm a 'putter offer' as well! Not looked at mine for almost 2 years! I've booked in 3 hours with my Deputy to just start thinking about it next week (!!!)

The advice I've been given (from the 'Ready for Inspection' training and from our EYA) is to reference our other documents...

We still 'RAG' ourselves twice a year as we liked this format, then use our RAG to influence our Improvement and Development Plan, so these are the documents we're going to reference in the SEF rather than writing everything out again!

[At least, that's the current plan - I'll let you know how it goes!]

Didn't think I would be missed, have been so busy, 3 staff leave since July. Needed full time work and we are mornings only. We including them are very sad to see them go . Trouble is 2 of them are Senco's. Just difficult finding the right person. Also joined that Facebook page like it but I now see work related items even when I'm trying to think about it. Prefer it on here. Also missing you guys too virtual hugs to you all.

Cooking dinner putting plans in to my head as you do........ I think this is route to go.

You need to be able to show that you are reflecting and evaluating what you do and making changes to your provision for the benefit of the children. You need to ensure that you are gathering the views and opinions of all stakeholders (Managers, staff, children, parents etc.) and you need to show how you are taking their views into account.

You don't have to do this via a SEF online - but it does help to give the inspector a picture of what your setting is like and what you are doing - a good SEF shows how you evaluate and amend practice. For example, you might have changed how you plan your outside area because a particular cohort was very into den-making.

Your inspector will read the SEF and will ask you questions about it - it doesn't matter whether it's bullet points or paragraphs - as long as it makes sense and gets across the points you are trying to make. Easier to read is better than a huge novel!

If you make judgements about the quality of practice then make sure you use the Inspection Handbook - this has very clear descriptors for what should be in place to merit each judgement. If you say you are 'Outstanding' in all areas but the handbook descriptors match you to a 'Good' judgement then the inspector will want to know more about how you evaluate the quality of your setting. This goes the other way too - if you judge yourself as 'Requires improvement' but are actually 'Good' then the inspector will talk to you about how you are measuring your standards.

If you don't have an online SEF but do your reflective practice in another way then that's fine - make sure you have it handy to give the inspector as soon as they arrive so that they can read it quickly and get a 'sense' of your setting.

Of course. We are all about reflection. We were outstanding 4 years ago. Everyone I have spoken to have not had great experiences despite retaining their outstanding. It shouldn't be like this, so intense and one of the worst things they ( i have 6 settings and child minders I have spoken too) have ever been through

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)