Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

surestart centers and minded children

We have been recently told as childminders we are no longer welcome to attend activites put on by the centre. The only things we are welcome to attend there are; a monthly meeting we hold as minders within a very small non child friedly room and a group put on by a group of local perents.

Is this happening to other minders in other areas and if so what do people feel about it and does any group have plans to object to the we are being treated. We are fighting for what we believe is our children right to attend.

I was feeling this some years ago and haven't tried to access since. Sure Start Centres are funded to provide experiences for under-privileged children, but if the children are already accessing quality experiences through a registered childminder then they don't require the services of the centre. Perhaps the Sure Start Centre may rent a room to your group though. They may be more willing to do so if you were open to local parents who may benefit from your example.

I'm for childminders firmly taking on the role of individual small business rather than Local Authority employees by default. We should all be costing these activities into our fees in the same way that we now have to factor in the cost of training that used to be paid for by the LA, and subsidise funded places.

Be confident in your own provision and make sure your fees reflect the quality.

Glad to see other childminders on here. Stick around, tough times ahead, safety in numbers.

Honey

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply. My main concern regarding this topic is part of the governments statement regarding sure start centers is they support local childminders. If they were to agree to us having use of the room with access to the great toys and

D equipment they have for once a week childminder run session then I would have no problem. I feel I used to take my minded children so they had experience in larger group activities. I could give the children this experience via this. The only thing we have is one very small room which is part of the youth centre. It's not big enough to get eight minders and the children in. I feel we are being let down by our center. Asking us not attend and not giving us proper support is very disappointing.

I have read online how other areas have great support from their center.

You might be interested in reading www.parliment.uk definition and purpose of sure start children's centers points 46-48 and foundation years.org.uk also gives a clear vision they need to show they are supporting us.

Good luck getting some activity in your center. I will keep you updated in what we are offered when we talk to them this week.

Regards Wendy

Just received an email our local children's centers have back tracked we are all back to being invited to attend.

Good luck to everyone else.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)