Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Survey results regarding Living Wage in Birmingham

Rea

I could have put this in the Birmingham forum but you might all be interested in having a read. Personally I'm hoping Birmingham will either drop the whole thing or make sure our funding reflects the results.

We can but hope!

(scroll down the page)

http://www.ndna.org.uk/NDNA/News/Press_releases_2015/NDNA_welcomes_KPMG_report_on_costs_of_early_years_education_for_Birmingham_and_hopes_for_constructiv.aspx

Edited by Rea

Thanks for the Rea. I haven't read through yet but the first thing that struck me was that the response was less than 20%. I'm really not sure how much impact such a poor response will actually ever have. I think there's a sort of unwritten assumption that if people don't respond, then they can't be that bothered. What was the promotion of this survey like in the area Rea?

Mundia, I cant remember how I found out about it, I recall a letter from the Council telling us they were going to be taking a closer look at the impact of the proposals they'd put out but that was last summer. They then paid KMPG some £thousands to do the survey, but nothing was ever thought the post, all email.

The owner of Stepping Stones Nursery and the owner of George Perkins House got a few people together to liaise with the Council and they started sending out emails to everyone through the Council. There was a lady on here who spoke strongly about us speaking out too, trying to get more support, but the Birmingham forum on here doesnt really get looked at I dont think.

The council weren't very vocal at all. But thats not unexpected. They tend to put things in place then ignore people. I'm just keeping a lid on my temper with them at the moment about every single thing going online, not inclusive of all settings at all!

I'm actually turning into Mrs Angry from Birmingham :angry: :D:D

I still havent got around to reading this properly, if at all to be honest, but I was at a meeting on Monday with EY advisors and they said the living wage of £7.20 is going ahead from April.

That's right and it rises to £9 per hour by 2020. The dilemma now is if the lowest paid over 25s are on the living wage in april do you/is it even possible (on current funding levels) to maintain any uplift to preserve any tiered pay differentials for better qualified, more experienced staff and/or those with extra responsibilities!!!!

I have just calculated that for my team with no uplift (e.g., everyone on the same rate) for the spring and summer terms this is going to mean an increase of £4K to my wages bill - and that's not taking into account holiday pay - all of which will have to be paid at this new rate!!!!

Obviously the increase in rate will push more staff into the bracket where they have to be automatically enrolled in work based pensions too meaning even more costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not quite sure how this is going to pan out over the next couple of years - well I think I do really - less staff or go bust!

One of the directions we were thinking of looking into for the future of playgroup, given we cant get committee members, was for the manager to buy the playgroup and have it as her business.

I told her not to bother, I cant see us surviving much longer with the current level of funding, certainly not more than 2 years with all the costs been thrown at us.

We were at a meeting for pack away settings this week, right at the end someone suggested a way forward for small groups might be to merge. Its something thats sounds good enough to look at I guess.

One of the directions we were thinking of looking into for the future of playgroup, given we cant get committee members, was for the manager to buy the playgroup and have it as her business.

I told her not to bother, I cant see us surviving much longer with the current level of funding, certainly not more than 2 years with all the costs been thrown at us.

We were at a meeting for pack away settings this week, right at the end someone suggested a way forward for small groups might be to merge. Its something thats sounds good enough to look at I guess.

u

I agree Rea we are committee & packaway, and there is NO WAY I would advise anyone to take it on as a business.

My 2 committee members are tiresomely trying to fundraise and I feel like telling them to stop its too much of a up hill battle now there's no way they can fill the gap.

Question is when do you just think that's it, let's call it a day? :-(

u

I agree Rea we are committee & packaway, and there is NO WAY I would advise anyone to take it on as a business.

My 2 committee members are tiresomely trying to fundraise and I feel like telling them to stop its too much of a up hill battle now there's no way they can fill the gap.

Question is when do you just think that's it, let's call it a day? :-(

Probably when we have to start paying into the pension scheme, not sure we can absorb that along with everything else and I'm pretty sure the rent will be going up at some point to.

But maybe, before that the Government will start funding us as they ought to and everything will be fine B)

Probably when we have to start paying into the pension scheme, not sure we can absorb that along with everything else and I'm pretty sure the rent will be going up at some point to.

But maybe, before that the Government will start funding us as they ought to and everything will be fine B)

xD yeah right! xD :lol:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)