Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cutting Fruit at snack

We would like to involve the children more in preparing the snack. Any one allow the children to cut the fruit, and if so, what knives do you let them use?

I am concerned that ours will struggle to cut/core apples / peel and chop carrots etc, yet I know that many settings do manage to get the children involved...I'm just struggling to work out how!

Okay we have a great gadget that portions apples and the core is left in the middle that's great for the children to do. We also use the pampered chef knives which the children use for chopping of fruit and vegetables. It still does require some adult supervision however.

Hope that helps.:)

Okay we have a great gadget that portions apples and the core is left in the middle that's great for the children to do. We also use the pampered chef knives which the children use for chopping of fruit and vegetables. It still does require some adult supervision however.

Hope that helps.:)

Thanks Fredbear...any idea what the apple gadget is called, or where it is from? Also any idea on the type of pampered chef knives you use? Sorry to ask, but keen to ensure we hve a system that will work and is as safe as possible.

We use the pampered chef knives but I am sure someone told me they were discontinuing them. You can get kidcutter knives from Amazon that are the same sort of thing.

Lakeland do the apple cutters.

Good luck

ours love using the apple corer ...odd, they call it the 'green machine' (ours is obviously green)

lol holt2007 that's probably where it came from ...so need a trip to Ikea or Ickea as the advert man calls it :)

These distractions are why I have had to make a STDL ! :P

......Right focus Mouse

I sense Avoidance Disorder.........

• Like 2

...have a look for the 40p (yes 40p!!!) plastic tongs (used to be green but think now they are black) - great for choosing their pieces of toast/fruit etc, challenges their fine motor/hand-eye co-ordination too

...they have tweezer types in a bundle for £1.50 - come with slotted spoon and spatula type things

love watching mine pick up the toast by hand, pop it between the tongs and shove it over to the plate two handed...when they finally master it properly their faces are a picture!

love Ikea too!!!!

oh and B&M have smaller rectangular anti slip trays for £1.99 so plates/cups etc don't slide around when they are learning to carry them

home bargains are currently doing a circular cafe tray (£1.49) which is black and anti slip too - bit bigger than the B&M ones and adds more challenge because of the shape - they have to think about where their hands need to be for balance - differentiation in a tray - who knew!

Our Apple cutter came from IKEA but beware we did have a cut finger as one child snatched it from his brother resulting in him catching it so supervision is a must . The knives we use are kinderkitchen knives got them via Amazon , not cheap but worth it

Edited by lashes2508

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)