Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Analysing data

I am trying to put together some statements about progress and attainment for last year's reception cohort. I can make a statement like 'Ethel made typical progress in number and more than typical progress in speaking.' But I'm wondering whether it's possible (or if I should) make statements like 'Overall, progress in writing was more than typical.' Or, 'Progress in understanding was less than typical'.

How do I go about making useful generalisations?

Hi Froglet

Are the statements about one child or the cohort as a whole? And who are they for?

We use target tracker and so can quantify progress - eg Ethel made 6 steps progress in writing and 8 in reading - typical progress being 6 steps, 7 and above being good progress - but I wouldn't report in these terms to parents. For parents I use the months bands as reference points so Ethel was working in the 30 - 50 months band in September and moved to exceeding the Early learning goal by June etc.

Thanks for replying. The statements are for me/my HT. We were looking at updating the SEF and I want to be able to summarise progress in Reception. I know how I'm measuring it (ie what would be typical or more or less than typical) and can easily do that do an individual child in a specific ELG. I'd like to be able to do it for the cohort as a whole within an ELG. I know where my children started and finished so feel I should be able to say something. Maybe I'm over complicating things!

From your cohort of children how many were broadly at expected on entry, maybe looking across the 12 areas of the GLd. How many got the GLd at the end? Has that gone up?

What was the gap for gender, SEN, EAL, PP/FSM etc. Did it narrow at the end?

Does the progress reflect the judgement of the teaching over time???

what areas were lower on entry - have you evened them out?

Cx

Edited by catma

Any time!!

If you take 40 - 60 emerging as a broadly in line expectation on entry can you work out how many children were at that in all the 12 GLD aspects.

Then how many got the GLD.

HOw many went from expected on entry to exceeding as well.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)