Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton

Mouseketeer

Hi ..can any one point in the direction of printable basic Makaton signs/symbols, I hadn't realised it would be so difficult to find anything, I'd like to make some flash cards for staff on lanyards until everyone is more familiar with it, are the signs all the same as BSL ? (they are much more freely available)...thank you :)

Edited by Mouseketeer

3 years ago I've did the Makaton course at my local training centre for 2 hours once a week it took 6 months to complete it. I would highly recommend the course to anyone who is interested in learning it as it is such a brilliant course.

That isn't going so well, asked advisor about 2 months ago was told shed pass it to area senco, a gentle reminder informed me one was on holiday and the other going, now they are now visiting a couple of weeks into term, but was hoping to have some prompt cards for staff made for start...still it will be nice to put a face to the area senco name ;-p

That isn't going so well, asked advisor about 2 months ago was told shed pass it to area senco, a gentle reminder informed me one was on holiday and the other going, now they are now visiting a couple of weeks into term, but was hoping to have some prompt cards for staff made for start...still it will be nice to put a face to the area senco name ;-p

We haven't had a senco in this area for years!!!!

If you google image Makaton signs and symbols there are loads on there! was it just phase 1/2 stuff or is there something in particular you want ?

Thank you both, it's just the basics to begin with, I didn't get on very well when I tried to search images, was hoping to fine somewhere I could just copy/paste what I wanted...a bit optimistic maybe, probably because of copyright.

Does anyone have experience of 'mychoice' for iPad ? It's not free and not sure if you just pay once or if it's like a subscription. Ok its monthly dependent of number of people.

Edited by Mouseketeer

What signs do you require and do you or any of your staff have any training in Makaton , I have some I could email to you if you pm me your email address , it is could to incorporate these with all the children , we sign good morning and sing and sign our prayer as well as Happy Birthday etc , we learn a sign nearly every week and it is especially important if you have a child using Makaton that he / she and others can communicate .

The more you use them the more it becomes second nature , the makaton books from the Makaton website are really useful and there is a range of others books available, I keep a couple of pocket books to hand.

It is also good to identify how the child using Makaton replicates the sign as it may differ to what you know .

The signing through the day course is good as a basic for all staff , senco usually lead this course at least they do in my area . Or speak to the salt if you have one you know as ours came in to do a quick run through with family and staff for a particular child.

I am embarking on a course to become a local tutor in Makaton with hopes to become a regional tutor eventually

Thank You all for your help...but having spoken to parent this afternoon they attended S&L a couple of weeks ago and are now using signalong...that's fine don't worry about telling me... I've only spent hours (of not just my time but you guys for trying to help also)

right deep breathes and ..signalong anyone ? :wacko:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)