Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New to Nursery

Hi, I've just been given the role of Nursery Teacher ( I was previously in Reception for 3 years). I will be working with two TAs and was looking for some tips. I've ordered 'Nursery in Action' but was wondering about organising the day.

I keep starting a to do list but I don't know what to put on it!

The previous teacher didn't have key workers but I would like to introduce them but again I'm not sure how to go about this? There will be 20 children in the AM and 20 children in the PM.

Are there any courses you recommend us going on?

I want to get the provision right and welcome any advice.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

When I started my Key Person system from scratch we just divided the children up between us, taking into account any previous knowledge of the children and families. We also made sure that we had a fair distribution of boys and girls. Over the years we have tried to keep this more or less the same, but sometimes we just don't bond with a child, of a child prefers another adult for some reason and then we have a little swap about.

• Like 1

Hi there lannie7. I presume this is the same school? In which case, can you find out about the routine etc from the previous teacher? Also, are your TAs, the same TAS that have been in nursery previously or are they new too? Sometimes, if they are experienced its good to listen to how things work now rather than start from scratch.

Im always surprised when people say to me 'we don't do key person here' (rather more common that Id like in my humble...) because it is actually a statutory requirement, but many schools choose to just make the teacher the key person (rather defeating the object again in my humble...). If this is new though to your school you would need to get the TAs on board which of course they may not be used to. Also, does your school offer home visits, because if they do, its a great way to build that key person relationship with the child and family.

Regarding courses, do you get information from your LA about what they offer, or an LA contact you could call or email and ask? Whats on offer will vary from LA to LA.

Good luck by the way, many years ago when I made the move from reception to nursery, I was completely at home once I got settled into it.

• Like 1

Always good to try and visit local nurseries, a range of provisions if possible as we all have different ways of working. You can then pick the ideas that you think will be good for you. Do you have a local EYFS cluster group?

Hi, thanks for all your replies.

Yes this will be the same school but I've been asked to make some changes (after a visit from Ofsted) to the organisation of the day, planning and provision.

I'm happy to do this but want to make sure I'm doing it properly.

With regard to key workers, what are there roles? Would it be groups, circle time, snack and observations? One TA (with an Early Years Degree) who will be new like me but the other is from the nursery. She has had no specific training for EYFS so I've asked for her to get lots of opportunities (like me) to see other local nurseries to get a feel for what the day should look like.

We don't have the opportunity for free flow to the outdoor so I was going to set aside 45 minutes at the start of each session.

I think it's going to be a case of trial and error unfortunately xx

I was happy to take over but I'm starting to feel nervous... Xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)