Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing rotas/shift patterns

Hi,

Can anyone share with me how they plan their staffing throughout the day i.e. how many do you have at each stage of the day?

Do you have all the children (not including babies) in one room for the first 30 minutes/hour? Do they have breakfast together? Or do they go into their own rooms straight away? Do all the children come together at the end of the day to allow staff to go home?

We are expanding our playgroup over the next 12 months or so to offer full day care (7.30am - 6pm) and we need to think about how many staff we are going to need and what type of shift patterns we can offer.At the moment, we all do 8.45/9-3.15 as this fits in perfectly with school drop off and pick ups but some compromises and changes are going to have to happen with the increased hours.

We are looking at having 20 2-3 year olds and 24 3-4 year olds . No babies.

I've started a spreadsheet but would value how others do it too - thanks!!

My staff do the same shift all the time. 7.30 - 4.30, 8 - 5, or 9 - 6. They occasionally swap with each other to cover appointments etc but usually sort this out themselves. Everyone stays until 6pm on a Thursday for planning and we have a team meeting on the first Thursday of each month at 6pm. I also have two staff who work 9.30 - 3.30 without a break. Those who work all day (or more than six hours) have one hour lunch break. We have staff who cover the lunch hours and work 12 - 3. They also do extra hours, e.g. come in at 9 to cover illness, training, hols etc but you have to watch out as if they work any longer than this, they need a break which kind of defeats the object!

We are in our own rooms first thing as it's easier / better for key people to welcome their own children into their rooms and settle them in. We go together at 3.30pm when our numbers drop (afternoon funded session ends then). We have tea together and stay together until everyone has gone. We're open 8am - 6pm.

• Like 1