Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Medium Term Planning

Hi all,

Hope you are all enjoying the holidays!

I need your advice and just to see what other schools do too...

I am starting a new job as EYFS leader in September and the school I'm moving to is in a bit of a pickle regarding planning etc as they've basically had TAs running their reception classes this year!!

Anyway, I cannot find any medium term planning on their server only weekly planning and a topic overview.

The school I was working at last year had medium term planning but I don't want to use this as it was very structured and didn't lend itself to children's next steps or focusing learning on their interests either!

Anybody got any plans or ideas for plans they could share please?

I'd be very grateful!!

Thanks

We don't do medium term plans, only short term. We get together and do a brainstorm at the start of a topic and then plan the first week from this and then we just follow interests and how the topic evolves. We just make sure we cover all the skills in the EYFS curriculum and use that as our LTP.

As Rufus does, though we do plan together each week. We do have a half-termly overview with very sketchy details of the phonic sounds we will be introducing and how the Maths progression might go, together with topics we may be covering, and this is sent home to parents too, along with the 'subject to change' health warning so if something really takes off we can run with it - this year we just could not move on from a minibeast theme as the children were so into it, last year it was a vehicles theme that really grabbed their attention.

I roughly map out objectives for each area of learning for a half-term at a time. I have a topic title and some ideas of activities relevant to that as a starting point just in case but to be honest have rarely used it.

I moved back into Reception last year and spent ages during the Summer hols thinking through and writing down my medium term planning for the first half term...once term began I quickly realised that I needed to go with the flow and move things along inline with what the children needed and wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just taking over as EY lead and currently we have quite structured MTP for Literacy, Maths and then EAD/UW. We then write weekly plans for Lit and Maths, but I have found that we don't take into account what the children have learnt or their interests as we have stuck to the medium term plans. I want to change this. In my previous school, I would brainstorm the topic to get it started and have the key objectives I needed to cover in Lit and Maths based on their assessments. I then kept track of the development matters statements I had covered to ensure I covered them all.

Hi,

For the past 4 years i have had a mixed Rec / Y1 class so planning has been very different. This year I have finally got a straight Rec!! YAY!! So i really need to have a change round with how I plan.. is anyone willing to share an example of what their planning looks like?

Thanks x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have come from a year 1 class and now have a mixed Rec / Y1 class and am finding planning very difficult and confusing .Could you share an example of your planning from last year?

Many thanks. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)