Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diabetes

I don't think the support dogs are suitable or recommended for very young children and even if they are used at home, they're not usually ideal at school. I think i recall a conversation a while back suggesting not under the age of 12 although I may have mis remembered that. You could contact diabetes UK and ask for advice.

Yes it does say 12 years and over on the early alert canines website. Also thinking about the school as a whole, they may well have other children with allergies to pets and phobias too, so may not be a suitable method within the school system.

Many thanks for all the replies - we seem to be managing her diabetes quite well in the setting , so I'm not sure what benefit we would see tbh ? We are in the grounds of a school - so not sure how we would manage the poops and the pee's either

we have an adult with an assistance dog who works in a pre-school in this area. Seems to be very popular !! They are often trained as to when to go to the loo! I know one of our local boys got his assistance dog at 7 but i'm not aware that he ever took her to school. I presume that the trainers would come to your setting and see if it is possible (does Mum know she is getting one soon??)