Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who does the planning?!

Hi all,

We are just sat mulling over our planning system and was just interested to know who is responsible for the planning in your setting? Is it the room leader, a group effort or is the planning put in place by management and then implemented by other staff.

The reason we ask this is because currently it is a group effort within each room to ensure planning is in place and being implemented. The room leader has the final responsibility however we are aware that it's quite a big task to do alone and we feel that if everyone is involved they are more likely to be enthusiastic etc.

Yet this does not seem the case at the moment..... We are seeing less and less exciting activities being planned and children seem to be doing the same things day in day out. As management we are constantly offering ideas to extend on current activities / topics etc, suggesting and sending out home links, putting up displays, helping to source resources etc.

We do not feel that we are taking over things that the others are doing but simply trying to keep things fun and interesting for the children and above all of this ensuring that the children are moving on with their learning.

We have had various conversations with our ladies about this and even offered further staff training in-house and externally to help to support them.

We are now just thinking it might be easier to just do the planning for them and leave them to carry it out.........!!!

Above all of this we are also heavily involved in the children's learning journeys and 3 monthly reports that we send home to parents.

It's starting to feel like all our staff feel they should be doing whilst they are here is change nappies and ensure the children settle for their sleep!!! They don't even have much responsibility at mealtimes excepting supervising the children whilst eating....

Is it also too much to expect them to pass on information gained from parents to others who have a right to know? i.e. a change in the child's routine or something. It just seems that as management we are having all the direct contact with the parents and our staff only feel they need to ask if the child had slept well or our biggest bug bare is saying 'they've had a good day'......

Although we have written day sheets that the key person writes it has taken us AGES to get them to write anything valuable in them.

Are we expecting too much of our ladies? It's not like they are not in ratio and are dealing with poor working conditions!!

We'd be really interested to know your views...

Thanks in advance

Nursery Manager and Nursery Owner

Hi, not too sure how to move it, but this might get a better response in Observation, Assessment and Planning in preschool section rather than Reception planning. Could you re submit?

Joanne

Edited by Joanne123
  • Like 2

It has to be a group effort surely. Each staff member is responsible for a different area of the curriculum. They find an activity and differentiate it. They mark down on a sheet how the child did and keypersons refer to this. At the end of each term keypersons are responsible for filling in a brief report for each parent giving each child's achievements, next steps, friendships and favourite activities at pre-school. In return parents fill in their "child's voice" I collate all this information onto a spread sheet. I have nearly finished ours for the autumn term. Staff will use this along side observations to plan for the next half term. I will also use information about the new children. I don't know if this is the correct way to do the planning but it works for us. Early years advisor was impressed with it.All I do is print out the blank sheets and oversee everything that goes on. Luckily I am supernumeric each day.

Hi, not too sure how to move it, but this might get a better response in Observation, Assessment and Planning in preschool section rather than Reception planning. Could you re submit?

Joanne

DOH I was so wound up when I wrote it that I hadn't even noticed this... THANK YOU...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)