Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funding consultation

sunnyday

Foreign aid is given as a % of GDP with the target being 0.7%. In real terms this currently stands at broadly double what expenditure in early years is, but of course the latter will have to rise to meet the demands of 30 hours etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just done mine and come out with £4.99 per hour. I took into account

• wages for next year at reasonable rate with potential pension payments,
  • projected costs for training: My LA charges £75 per course. First aid training and paying staff for attending as its usually out of hours
  • Profit margin as need to put money by for contingencies, e.g. redundancy payments
  • As a sole trader and leader who does everything, the hardest part was costing out all the hours I put in at home, outside of setting hours, meetings, shopping, transition visits.

I also mentioned hours my staff do for no pay, having to provide enhanced staffing as there is no money to support SEN, free resources we get donated and scrounge, snack provided by parents.

The Church effectively subsidise us (and the Government!) by charging a low rent. But this could change at any moment as there are lots of demands on their funds; the building needs a makeover.

Hope this is some use to anybody thinking about doing the consultation. I used the PSLA guidance and it helped.Please do it and it might make a difference.

• Like 2

It's interesting looking at the figures people are coming up with, although more than the funding rates, not loads more. But of course, we are the groups that are still running, we only spend what we earn or can raise funds for, so does that mean our figures won't show a huge difference because we only spend what we get??? Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Have just done mine and come out with £4.99 per hour. I took into account

• wages for next year at reasonable rate with potential pension payments,
  • projected costs for training: My LA charges £75 per course. First aid training and paying staff for attending as its usually out of hours
  • Profit margin as need to put money by for contingencies, e.g. redundancy payments
  • As a sole trader and leader who does everything, the hardest part was costing out all the hours I put in at home, outside of setting hours, meetings, shopping, transition visits.
I also mentioned hours my staff do for no pay, having to provide enhanced staffing as there is no money to support SEN, free resources we get donated and scrounge, snack provided by parents.

The Church effectively subsidise us (and the Government!) by charging a low rent. But this could change at any moment as there are lots of demands on their funds; the building needs a makeover.

Hope this is some use to anybody thinking about doing the consultation. I used the PSLA guidance and it helped.Please do it and it might make a difference.

It's interesting looking at the figures people are coming up with, although more than the funding rates, not loads more. But of course, we are the groups that are still running, we only spend what we earn or can raise funds for, so does that mean our figures won't show a huge difference because we only spend what we get??? Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Seriously when you consider ALL the unpaid hours that are essential to make a setting work

All the 'scrounging' for resources

Supporting sen without additional funding (disgraceful)

All the goodwill of others that allow a setting to operate

The Government should hang its head in shame - here we are completing a consultation to try and add - as Isp says - a few extra pence per hour - to actually ONLY stand still, or tred water, fingers crossed that you dont sink! AND there they are not only gloating about offering 2yr olds 'this once in a life time opportunity' for 'free' early years education but having the dam cheek to offer 30 'free' hours without considering how the costs can be met!

The countries children are being completely short changed - being educated, thank goodness, by the thrift, resourcefulness and imaginative workforce - NOT by our Governments - so wipe the smirk of your pompous faces - Cameron and Co!

If we dont get a fair deal out of this consultation - lets down toilet rolls!

• Like 4

My first figures have brought me too £3.69 - so need to look at this again :blink:

Soon discovered where i had gone wrong - my final figure was £4.83 - current funding level £3.91

Pleased to say that this is now submitted and a another item ticked off the old 'to do' list! :1b

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

The guidance from PSLA is that you base your figures on the numbers of children who actually attended over the past year, not how many children you are actually registered for. I'm sure, like my setting, lots of other settings start off with lower attendance in September and then build up through the year. However the costs are still pretty much the same, eg rent, insurance. I maintain the staffing at the same level through the year rather than decrease staff hours when numbers are lower.

• Like 1

Hmmmm - have just received an email to confirm that my response has been received - it contains 'a response identification number' - it's not a very high number at all - wonder if it is indicative of the number of responses received :(

can you tell me the format you've submitted it in, I think its the blank box that keeps putting me off, can you add a word doc or spreadsheet ?

I copied and pasted a word doc :1b

Feeling very chuffed that I have (at last) got it done and submitted! :D

• Like 4

Done it! Rather surprised. £3.83 actuals for last year but child numbers were high. Forecast for next year, including living wage and pensions £4.27. I redid it to take into account our average child numbers and it came to £5.27. We currently get £3.84 from County.

• Like 2

I'm basing it on the living wage and including the pension. Going to consider Sue's iclusion of £9 living wage and pension icrease to compare the two. As usual it is all left for us to interpretate based on our own settings and quite frankly it is a bit of a 'needle in the haystack' scenario. Why can't the goverment give us a form to fill in to make it unilateral? Oh no, let's continue to make it wooly and have another rethink again next year!

• Like 4

Apologies if I am squeezeing it in a wrong thread but have you seen this petition? I thought there will be thousands signatures but so far only 666 and only one week to go. Very symbolical number :-( https://www.change.org/p/sam-gyimah-mp-nicky-morgan-mp-priti-patel-mp-rt-hon-david-cameron-mp-fairer-funding-for-early-years-fairer-services-for-children?tk=ZX4tr4WPfZvsNuwIGmOapX4Tj6G3LPVN1luNmmjFyw8&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Apologies if I am squeezeing it in a wrong thread but have you seen this petition? I thought there will be thousands signatures but so far only 666 and only one week to go. Very symbolical number :-( https://www.change.org/p/sam-gyimah-mp-nicky-morgan-mp-priti-patel-mp-rt-hon-david-cameron-mp-fairer-funding-for-early-years-fairer-services-for-children?tk=ZX4tr4WPfZvsNuwIGmOapX4Tj6G3LPVN1luNmmjFyw8&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Happy to sign :1b

Thank you for bringing to our attention Oksana

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)