Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

SEN training

• 3 months later...

Hi LisaEYFS and Skippy. The ones I have undertaken have been Austim, ADHD, Down Syndrome, Physical Impairments, Additional Needs, SENCO Training, Inclusive Play, Speech And Language, Toilet Training For Special Needs, Equal Opportunities, Children's Rights, Makaton and British Sign Language. There is quite a variety I would recommend going on all the special needs training as much as you can as each one different and you learn and pick up different strategies and information on each one. I hope this is helpful to you both.

Hi LisaEYFS and Skippy. The ones I have undertaken have been Austim, ADHD, Down Syndrome, Physical Impairments, Additional Needs, SENCO Training, Inclusive Play, Speech And Language, Toilet Training For Special Needs, Equal Opportunities, Children's Rights, Makaton and British Sign Language. There is quite a variety I would recommend going on all the special needs training as much as you can as each one different and you learn and pick up different strategies and information on each one. I hope this is helpful to you both.

hi littlelmissmuffet...can I ask where you are accessing these course from and how much ?Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi finleysmaid the ones I have done have been through my local council training website in the area that I live in all training courses are free of charge to people so I go on everyone one of them by ringing up my local council and booking my place at one venues that they have available to do it at with the date and time. Some are 1 full day courses, some have been two full day courses, others have been 2 hour courses either in the morning, afternoon or evening depending which slot I want. So there is something for everyone really which fits into people's lives. I'm not sure which you live in as to whether there would be a charge for you or not.

Hi finleysmaid the ones I have done have been through my local council training website in the area that I live in all training courses are free of charge to people so I go on everyone one of them by ringing up my local council and booking my place at one venues that they have available to do it at with the date and time. Some are 1 full day courses, some have been two full day courses, others have been 2 hour courses either in the morning, afternoon or evening depending which slot I want. So there is something for everyone really which fits into people's lives. I'm not sure which you live in as to whether there would be a charge for you or not.

Lucky you! There's rarely any SEN training available in my LA. 'Conferences' occasionally, but not specific training :(

I think you'll find that most of us are not offered anything like this in our borough's and certainly not for free! (are you school or ey setting BTW?)

In the last couple of 'training sessions' we have done myself and my senco ended up virtually running the course .....we always take a high percentage of children with additional needs but our training is sourced from farther afield nowadays to keep up our skills!

I am a school based setting I work in the early years nursery and reception unit. But I have worked in children's centres and nurseries before as well where the training is still free of charge in my area. It's always been free of charge where I live. However I think it ought to be free of charge for all early years workers in every area really whether they be school based or nursery based as we all work with children and need to keep up with latest changes and brush up on a knowledge about new things from time to time.

. However I think it ought to be free of charge for all early years workers in every area really whether they be school based or nursery based as we all work with children and need to keep up with latest changes and brush up on a knowledge about new things from time to time.

You'll get no argument from me about that ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Courses available to us in Hampshire cost on average a hundred pounds a place (for a day course), so sadly, despite having had children with substantial support needs, we were undertrained to meet them! It's a shame that central funding isn't available when the need is there..

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)