Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The wonder of numicon

yes - very useful indeed. It helps children visualise the relative 'sizes' of numbers and helps accurate counting. I especially like that it is less fiddly than unifix and removes all the 'I want a yellow one' type distractions.

Brilliant stuff! We've had it in our school for 3 years and use it from Nursery upwards. We are looking at investing in the scheme for the whole school.

It gives children that visualisation of numbers - they build up number relationships quickly. One of it's best features for me is that fat that it is weighted. So when adding and subtracting as you can use a balance scale to demonstrate that, for example, 5 balances with 2 and 3. They recommend that you use the language 'balances' instead of equals at first as most children (including those up to year 6 and beyond!) think that equals just means 'where the answer goes!"

The children love using it and it is easy to use across the setting as well as in focus activities etc

Go for it - you won't be disappointed!

Green Hippo x

P.S. I am not on commission from Numicon by the way!!!!

Brilliant stuff! We've had it in our school for 3 years and use it from Nursery upwards. We are looking at investing in the scheme for the whole school.

It gives children that visualisation of numbers - they build up number relationships quickly. One of it's best features for me is that fat that it is weighted. So when adding and subtracting as you can use a balance scale to demonstrate that, for example, 5 balances with 2 and 3. They recommend that you use the language 'balances' instead of equals at first as most children (including those up to year 6 and beyond!) think that equals just means 'where the answer goes!"

The children love using it and it is easy to use across the setting as well as in focus activities etc

Go for it - you won't be disappointed!

Green Hippo x

P.S. I am not on commission from Numicon by the way!!!!

we have it in school - i missed training as was on home visits for early starters... what can you do with it?

We have the Firm Foundations Nursery set which comes with a booklet of ideas. I've also dipped into the Reception booklet for more challenging ideas.

I try to use Numicon as much as possible to support any number based activity from singing songs to playing skittles or hopscotch. Any displayed number lines have Numicon on them. In the home corner we have numbered sets - cup, plate, bowl with the 1 Numicon shape on, another set with the 2 Numicon shape on. We use the shapes in the play-dough - making patterns in play dough, finding them in the sand, printing with them using paint etc. There is also a base board which the children can fit the shapes or the pegs on. So they can fill the board with the shapes, find 1 more by adding another peg and seeing what shape now fits in the top. Once you start playing with it, you fill see the benefits. If used from early on, then the children have a set visualisation of numbers in their head that they can always refer to - the same pattern of dots always represent the same number.

The Numicon websites have downloaded resources - so you can print the shapes off for different uses.

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

We have the Firm Foundations Nursery set which comes with a booklet of ideas. I've also dipped into the Reception booklet for more challenging ideas.

I try to use Numicon as much as possible to support any number based activity from singing songs to playing skittles or hopscotch. Any displayed number lines have Numicon on them. In the home corner we have numbered sets - cup, plate, bowl with the 1 Numicon shape on, another set with the 2 Numicon shape on. We use the shapes in the play-dough - making patterns in play dough, finding them in the sand, printing with them using paint etc. There is also a base board which the children can fit the shapes or the pegs on. So they can fill the board with the shapes, find 1 more by adding another peg and seeing what shape now fits in the top. Once you start playing with it, you fill see the benefits. If used from early on, then the children have a set visualisation of numbers in their head that they can always refer to - the same pattern of dots always represent the same number.

The Numicon websites have downloaded resources - so you can print the shapes off for different uses.

Green Hippo x

thanks very much!! will investigate....

We have just got the starter pack and we love it. If you 'google' Numicon you will find lots of ready made resources to print off an make into games. You can also buy additional 1's etc very cheaply on Ebay.

Enjoy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)