Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music and Movement Ideas

Hello all,

In a couple weeks time I'm leading a Music and Movement session in a local children's nursery with up to 26 children aged 2-5. My usual sessions are aimed at babies under 2 years, so I was wondering if anyone had some activity ideas?

Ideally I need activities that can be done with a very large group of children (plus practictioners and me), with varying stages of development, that incorporate the use of musical instruments.

Thank you!

How lovely - i love a bit of 'Music and Movement'!

How about marching along to 'The Grand Old Duke of York' - playing instruments as you go......

In the words of Arnie Whatisname - I'll be back! xD (When i think of some more that is!)

• Like 1

How lovely - i love a bit of 'Music and Movement'!

How about marching along to 'The Grand Old Duke of York' - playing instruments as you go......

In the words of Arnie Whatisname - I'll be back! xD (When i think of some more that is!)

Me too, I run two sessions every week! As well as a sign and rhyme group :)

The sesison will start with some nursery rhymes, accompanied with Makaton Sign Language, and will be followed by some 'standing up songs' like the Grand Old Duke of York. After that I'll introduce instruments, but need some good activities.

So far I have (not decided what I will actually be doing yet though):

Musical bumps

Clicking out rhythms with sticks and getting the children to move to the speed of the beat

One child plays an instrument out of sight, everyone has to guess the instrument

A few children hand out instruments, the children make sure they all work and then pass them round the room as we sing 'pass the instrument along'. Children play whatever instrument stops on them. I'm probably not explaining this well!

Free play instruments, so they all get a chance to try any instrument they want

• Like 1

An idea I saw when a drama student came in to do a session with our [26] 2-4 yrs olds. -

Hula Hoops (not the edible kind!!!) on spread around the floor - about six or so, and when the music stopped the children had 'listen for instructions' - then were told which body part to touch the floor with inside the hoop.

............So the hoops where like islands, and when the music stopped they put in 'one foot' , next time 'one hand' /'one finger' etc , she gradually got more difficult with 'elbow' and finally ended with 'your nose'.

Sounds complicated - but the children absolutely LOVED it, and it's actually really simple once they get the idea.

• Like 3

Doing music activities with instruments is quite tricky...do you have to use them for this group? If so i would try to stick to shakers for everyone (the egg ones are great ...if poss one in each hand for everyone) 25 of anything is quite loud so i would try to avoid drums or tambourines!!!! 2 year olds will find it difficult to use an instrument and their voices at the same time...or even their body ! they can only really do one thing at a time :P

I don't agree with that. As long as the activities are short, simple and well lead I don't see any reason to avoid instruments and neither me nor my colleagues have had any problems in the past. I won't be asking any of the children to do things that I don't think are appropriate to their stages development (such as 2-channelled attention), but not meeting the needs of the more developed is just as important. Besides, all my activities are subject to change and will be scrapped if they're not working :)

As for noise: a few weeks ago I acquired about 30 of those huge tins that school food comes in (about 6" wide and deep) and used loads of percussion sticks as drum sticks. It was amazing :P

Edited by Rob6692

haha in fairness though, the activity only lasted 5-10 minutes before we moved on to something else. It might not have been so good if it went on for longer. Might also be worth bearing in mind that I was doing it with under twos, so they wouldn't be quick as noisey as older children!

You're right to be cautious though, it could be really troubling for children with hypersensitivity or even just really shy ones. Introduce with caution and ensure that all of the children are aware of how noisey it will be :) You have to know the children too, it won't always work well!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)