Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Differentiation - how do you show this on your plans?

One of the areas I'm focussing on at the moment is our planning - I've got a new planning wall that shows our half term plans, key person groups and the next steps, snack list, info for parents etc.... but we have been picked up by our LA consultant that we need to demonstrate more differentiation as we are a 2-5s open plan playgroup.

Our planning is very basic and used mainly as a prompt for those setting up the provision at the start of the week and a guide for any craft or focus activities we choose to do. A lot of it is spontaneous and led by the children so I'm struggling to see how differentiation can be planned for!

We obviously know our key children well and can differentiate whilst we are in the activity itself - offering support with scissors, giving verbal prompts/questioning when children are drawing or playing a matching game (for example)

But how do we demonstrate this on our planning to show that we have thought about it? Or should we just reflect on how we did it and use this to inform next steps for that child?

What do you do/how do you record this information?

Thanks,

RB x

One of the areas I'm focussing on at the moment is our planning - I've got a new planning wall that shows our half term plans, key person groups and the next steps, snack list, info for parents etc.... but we have been picked up by our LA consultant that we need to demonstrate more differentiation as we are a 2-5s open plan playgroup.

Our planning is very basic and used mainly as a prompt for those setting up the provision at the start of the week and a guide for any craft or focus activities we choose to do. A lot of it is spontaneous and led by the children so I'm struggling to see how differentiation can be planned for!

We obviously know our key children well and can differentiate whilst we are in the activity itself - offering support with scissors, giving verbal prompts/questioning when children are drawing or playing a matching game (for example)

But how do we demonstrate this on our planning to show that we have thought about it? Or should we just reflect on how we did it and use this to inform next steps for that child?

What do you do/how do you record this information?

Thanks,

RB x

We are same sort of group as you and our planning sheet is just what yours describes.

I used to spend ALOT of time doing differentiation for our adult led activity but as all our staff are mature & been in the job for years I don't bother now, I would if I had inexperienced staff in though - plus no matter what we think the activity is going to be you can guarantee our little darlings will take it in the opposite direction , bless 'em :-)

• Like 2

I use ABC does objective led or child led planning. I have a focus activity each week running alongside our individual next steps. I find my focus activities from looking at our summative data analysis. This identifies the gaps in identified areas of need from my class of children. I then split this area of focus into three main levels from what we know of the children already and where their identified next steps are in that area. Then take that focus into the child's play for the week. Hope this is succinct and clear. xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)