Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

English/signing or home language?

finleysmaid

I think we have discussed this before but i just wanted some opinions.

When you are assessing children in relation to learning outcomes do you only assess what they can do in English? If assessing in home language how do you do this if you do not speak their language?...or is there a point in their learning where you would expect them to do this in English?

There are only 3 ELG's that could possibly be achieved without speaking ....what do you do in this situation?

Dont know if the guidance has changed but it used to be that CLL had to be in English, if I remember correctly.

There was also a document that allowed for English attainment for EAL learners to be assessed.

Statutory guidance covered in para 1.7

"For children whose home language is not English, providers must take reasonable steps to provide opportunities for children to develop and use their home language in play and learning, supporting their language development at home. Providers must also ensure that children have sufficient opportunities to learn and reach a good standard in English language during the EYFS:ensuring children are ready to benefit from the opportunities available to them when they begin Year 1. When assessing communication, language and literacy skills, practitioners must assess children’s skills in English. If a child does not have a strong grasp of English language, practitioners must explore the child’s skills in the home language with parents and/or carers, to establish whether there is cause for concern about language delay."
For the EYFSP you must assess CLL and literacy in English but you can assess all the others in home language.
I think where you have a child with very limited English, then the use of deeper observation is necessary to really see how they interact and demonstrate their skills. It's not easy but you just have to be practical. Having said that I've always worked in inner London so often a child with only English would be a minority.
Cx
Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Dont know if the guidance has changed but it used to be that CLL had to be in English, if I remember correctly.

There was also a document that allowed for English attainment for EAL learners to be assessed.

That was for scale points and has been long deleted. The main guidance is just the same though re which ones must be assessed in English

• Like 1

Although I have discovered today that despite the STATUTORY GUIDANCE, all optional Baseline Assessments MUST be done in English. The DfE are not playing by the same rules it would seem. I feel a campaign of email writing coming on...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)