Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas needed for 'spacial awareness'

Anyone have any good ideas to help a child with spacial awareness? He is constantly 'hurting' other children - usually accidently and is constantly 'on the go' - a real 'live wire', but has no understanding of personal space.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help? I have the very same child!

So far I have only come up with one game, but I do think it may be too difficult.

Driving tragffic light game ( He loves cars)

Children pretend to be cars steering carefully around each other. When I hold up the colour red they stop still, green for go, Amber to change direction.

I've been researching this at Uni. Here are some ideas and what I have found;

1) Get them to climb through a hoop and see if they can say where the hoop touched them. It's important they can understand their whole body and where it is.

2) Stand side-by-side facing a mirror. You touch parts of your body and see if they can copy you on their own body by looking in the mirror.

3) We have been using hoops to drive like cars as Jo43 said. The idea is they shouldn't crash or bump in to things.

4) Understanding where their limbs are in space is called Proprioception. This is developed alongside spatial awareness.

5) We have been using the large hollow blocks to make balancing beams, they must slow down and think about their limbs to cross the bridge.

We have a child very similar although now we're not sure if it's an eye sight problem.

I hope that helps to get you started :)

• Like 1

I've been researching this at Uni. Here are some ideas and what I have found;

1) Get them to climb through a hoop and see if they can say where the hoop touched them. It's important they can understand their whole body and where it is.

2) Stand side-by-side facing a mirror. You touch parts of your body and see if they can copy you on their own body by looking in the mirror.

3) We have been using hoops to drive like cars as Jo43 said. The idea is they shouldn't crash or bump in to things.

4) Understanding where their limbs are in space is called Proprioception. This is developed alongside spatial awareness.

5) We have been using the large hollow blocks to make balancing beams, they must slow down and think about their limbs to cross the bridge.

We have a child very similar although now we're not sure if it's an eye sight problem.

I hope that helps to get you started :)

You're a star! Thank you.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)