Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Regressing in Potty Training

Hi there,

I am just looking for advice about a child in my setting who has just turned 3, she has been potty training for a year and at the beginning it went very well. For the past 6 months, she has been having a lot of wee accidents, around 4-5 a day but sometimes doesn't have any at all.

I have introduced sticker charts and discussed with her parents the possibilities as to why she has been having accidents. Last week she mentioned to my colleague, after an accident, that she liked doing it?!?!?!??!

I really do not know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions or even similarities then please do let me know!

Have a lovely weekend everyone! Woooooo it's Friday!!

, she obviously has the control needed...

If she has declared likes doing it , how much attention does she get when being changed etc.. maybe this could be reduced to a minimum, no interaction or fuss just change and let her return to play... or alternatively we used to get the child to undress, we would wash and dry with their help and then they would have to redress themselves.. keeping help to the absolute minimum needed..

other alternative is to also have her urine checked with gp for possible infection, we had children regress and once checked it was discovered to be because of an infection.

• Like 2

Yes, I agree with Inge. Cut down the attention she is getting when she does it, give her attention for other things so she can see that she's possibly missing out when she has to spend time getting changed. Accompany her to the toilet at regular intervals and make that lighthearted and fun.

Getting checked is a sensible idea too.

• Like 1

Yes I agree with above posts but a check would be an idea too.

We had a girl who enjoyed wearing our spare clothes and we were convinced she was doing it in order to get changed as all other concerns including doctors,safeguarding etc had been considered.

We started using less attractive spare clothes and it did the trick!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)