Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time capsules

One of my boys has a good general knowledge and during a discussion about what we'd like to learn about after the holidays he suggested that we make a time capsule. I asked if he could explain what a time capsule was and he was able to describe one perfectly.

I would like to make one with him but am not sure how to fit it into my planning... As it's not the beginning or end of the year and there are no significant celebrations to link it to I'm not sure of how to approach it.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

When my son was at school in the eighties, they made time capsules to themselves. They filled a large brown envelope each with drawings they'd done, pictures of things that interested them and their dreams for the future. They sealed them down and wrote on the front that it wasn't to be opened until at least their very last day at secondary school. We came across Alan's when we were sorting out his things in the loft preparatory to our move and he had a great time with his wife looking through it all. He was surprised at the quality and detail of his drawings and how his predictions were, mostly, not far from the mark - except the bit about him driving a flying car!

As to where it fits in planning, there's numeracy, literacy, PSED, KUW, handwriting, even IT if they use digital cameras to take pictures. I wonder if a pendrive will still work 20 years into the future .....

• Like 1

Does it have to link to anything else? It is what it is - a learning opportunity.

I made a time capsule with my brother years ago - it's still somewhere buried in my mums back garden. We have no idea exactly where we put it!! Would love to see what we had come up with.

So just do it!!

Cx

• Like 2

Thank you for your quick responses.

After I wrote my post I thought that I could just do it because he wanted to rather than have to link it to something.

He wants to bury it so I think we'll do a class one to bury at school and individual ones for them to take home.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)