Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Baseline Providers list

Who knows - I really wish they'd just give us one, then we could unite in disliking it!!, but at least we'd get on with it instead of worrying.

I'm meeting with some local schools to have a look at them all after half term, and we'll make a decision about which one we will all go for, so at least we have some consistency locally. I'm hoping the LA will have a view too, but it's early days yet.

Bang goes my 'me' time over half-term anyway!

Personally I am pleased that Early Excellence have won a bid as theirs is based on the Leuven scales and characteristics of effective learning. I haven't attended a briefing yet to see how it works but I think it be the closest to what most of you already do

It will be good to share what you all decide to do or not do and how you get on with them

I personally would go with Early excellence heard Jan talk about it the other day and its observation based and fits in with everyday planning - all the others are testing and some of the questions are awful :ph34r:

That would be my preferred option, but our schools need to make their own decisions we feel.

Cx

My LA are running a 'marketplace' event which they are hoping all the providers but have specifically said they won't be endorsing one or the other. I need to look, absorb and talk to my head about what he wants to get out of it too.

Without wishing to sound cynical at such an early stage, on first look you'd have to say Early Excellence know their market audience well. Only closer inspection will really reveal whether the work expected within the first two weeks from any of these baselines is realistic, meaningful, purposeful or just fulfilling the governments agenda of setting full accountability across the whole school.

• Like 1

Don't want to go into detail on a public forum Steve. Early Excellence is still my personal preference however, but GL just suits us better at this moment in time. I do like the idea of their 'dual iPads approach' and the tracking software they offer.

Of course we only have to commit for 12 months, so we may change to Early Excellence in 2016.

Edited by ChrisAR

We're happy to let folk know that we've been chatting to Early Excellence, and Tapestry will be linking to their Baseline Assessment. Those of you who use Tapestry will know that we already enable observations to be tagged with CoEL and Leuven assessments, and we feel our observation based learning journal system will be a natural fit. :1b

We'll let you know if/when we agree to incorporate other systems.

• Like 2

We're happy to let folk know that we've been chatting to Early Excellence, and Tapestry will be linking to their Baseline Assessment. Those of you who use Tapestry will know that we already enable observations to be tagged with CoEL and Leuven assessments, and we feel our observation based learning journal system will be a natural fit. :1b

We'll let you know if/when we agree to incorporate other systems.

That's great. I may be wrong but its the only one I can see that will meet the needs of SEN children.

Without wishing to sound cynical at such an early stage, on first look you'd have to say Early Excellence know their market audience well. Only closer inspection will really reveal whether the work expected within the first two weeks from any of these baselines is realistic, meaningful, purposeful or just fulfilling the governments agenda of setting full accountability across the whole school.

They don't stipulate 2 weeks - it says on their website somewhere within the first half term. This is because they use the screenings for wellbeing before doing any other judgements.

Must be OK cos the DfE says so!!

Cx

That's great. I may be wrong but its the only one I can see that will meet the needs of SEN children.

None of this is about meeting needs, but defining a fixed point to me measured later against a fixed point in Yr 6.

You would still have to deliver ie assess, plan, teach towards the ELGs in all aspects as that is still statutory.

This is a schools baseline not the child's per se.

Cx

None of this is about meeting needs, but defining a fixed point to me measured later against a fixed point in Yr 6.

You would still have to deliver ie assess, plan, teach towards the ELGs in all aspects as that is still statutory.

This is a schools baseline not the child's per se.

Cx

I appreciate what you are saying and I probably didn't express myself very well. My point is that the DfE say the assessment must be accessible to at least 99% of children. I may be wrong because I haven't looked in depth but from what I have seen I have seen very little of this. Early Excellence is about the whole child and not testing which is what we do now when a child arrives in our setting. We have robust systems in place currently to baseline children and certainly isn't about 'testing' but observing children. It isn't mandatory so I doubt very much we will adopt an approved baseline because it tells us nothing just as the EYFS profile doesn't. I am talking about children who are 'significantly' lower than the typical developmental stage of children arriving in reception and bet that is more than 1%.

I think we're both actually saying the same thing.

Some of the tests do give you a standardised score as well as the raw score required for the DfE.

Re not doing it you will need to ensure you will always meet the 85% floor standard alone in the future - personally I would say this was a risky gamble if you have significant SEND. At least having done the baseline you will also have a progress measure if you get a low achieving cohort. For small schools where each child is 3% of the outcome, even a 1 child variance could be the difference between intervention or no intervention from elsewhere!

Cx

• Like 1

For small schools where each child is 3% of the outcome, even a 1 child variance could be the difference between intervention or no intervention from elsewhere!

Cx

We have a cohort at the moment where each child is worth 10%! Statistically a nightmare!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)