Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The DfE want to hear from you - childcare for disabled children

I deliver training around the country and have been hearing from providers that the funding they receive for children with Special Educational Needs/Disabilities to provide additional support and resources is becoming more and more difficult to access and is some cases, is being withdrawn completely. Added to this, sources of support and advice from advisers/consultants i n the Local Authority are being decimated so providers are completely alone.

In my opinion this is completely unacceptable and isn't fair on providers, parents and most importantly, children. I've contacted the DfE to express my concerns and their reply to me states:

We are keen to work with providers to identify what more can be done to ensure that early years settings are building inclusive and accessible service for parents with disabled children.

Please contact them to explain the impact these cuts are having on you and families. You can click on my website link below then the "The DfE wants to hear from you" red box to see more and access the link to make contact. I've also contacted my MP. There's nothing like an approaching election to raise awareness!

Thanks, it will take 10 minutes I promise, I've created a quick response section! If you're one of the settings that has been trying to access funding to meet the needs of a child with identified or emerging SEN you'll know how important this is. If you're a parent of a child with SEN, you'll also know how difficult it can be and how unfair the current system is. All parents deserve choices about childcare, providers deserve adequate funding and children deserve to have their needs met.

It's here, 10 minutes :1b :

http://www.kathrynstinton.com/#!quick-guide/c1k8e

We gave out a short questionnaire to our families who have children with additional needs in our setting. There are six at this moment in time and their support ranges from 3 hours to 12 hours per week.

One question asked how the parents would feel if the one to one support funding was withdrawn. The overwhelming and heart wrenching answer was 'devastation'!

Please do what you can to support this.

We gave out a short questionnaire to our families who have children with additional needs in our setting. There are six at this moment in time and their support ranges from 3 hours to 12 hours per week.

One question asked how the parents would feel if the one to one support funding was withdrawn. The overwhelming and heart wrenching answer was 'devastation'!

Please do what you can to support this.

Some of us are providing this support with no financial help.....absolutely ridiculous!

Our children are in for their allocated hours and get 1-1 support for an hour or less. However, I feel we are not helping the situation, we are supporting the parents but encouraging the powers that be to use the phrase 'they are coping.' We have a child who slipped through the net, should have been in school September 2014 and have just been told spaces are limited and he may not get a place until September 2016!

The more we do, as in this profession, we put the needs of the child first we are in fact doing them no favours. If all the parents/staff/support workers/carers of these very special children, who are being deprived of their education, shouted, screamed and contacted our MP's I am very sure the powers that be would still not sit up and take notice.

I appreciate it's frustrating but I know we all care about children, that's why we keep doing what we're doing. Children's needs are going unmet and the situation is likely to get worse. Local Authorities are currently finalising their budgets for the next financial year so there's still time to make a difference.

I contacted Nursery World and they're running an article next week so it's an opportunity to celebrate Local Authorities who are providing funding whilst giving accounts of the impact on settings, families and children when Local Authorities aren't.

If you'd like to be part of the article (you can remain anonymous) please contact me via my website. WE NEED YOU!