Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview lesson - please help

Hi all,

I have an interview next week for a position and have to teach two sessions. the first is Yr 3/4 which hopefully will be fine given I'm KS2 based, but the other is Reception, which is making me anxious to say the least.

I am currently waiting for further info about group sizes, ability, etc, etc so all I have at the moment is:

Reception Class - Focus on the development of HFW words (40 minute session)

Firstly, a planning template (or what to include in a plan in EYFS) of some sort would be wonderful as would any ideas for the structure/break down of the 40 minute session and possible activities. Essentially, any advice would be brilliant from behaviour management, expectations or simply the above. Really appreciate it if someone could help :)

Is that what you have been asked to deliver or something you have chosen?

You are going to find this quite difficult I think in Reception, you need to be very active and play based. Some children will have some HFW recognition and others may still be struggling to recognise what a word is, let alone HFW. You need to look at the structure of a phonic session, "Letters and Sounds" may help you.

Thanks for getting back Susan. I am currently swatting up on L&S and have been for the last few days. I can see that L&S has split the HFW list to match the phases and some are decodable with some tricky sight words.

The letter asked me to deliver - Reception Class - Focus on the development of HFW words (40 minute session).

I have since discovered there will be 13 children. 4 are deemed HA while 1 has language/emotional difficulties. The class are currently on phase 3 of L&S.

I know enough to appreciate I need a number of activities of which some will be child initiated. My difficulty comes from the length of the session since most phonic sessions are usually around 20 mins and 40 is much more. Therefore, I would really welcome some opinions on how to break that 40 mins down into meaningful chunks for my planning. All ideas welcome :)

Edited by poultneyl

10mins starter intro and activity, 20mins activities, 10 mins plenary/ Show and tell.

Word snap and bingo/lotto type games, word building activities.

Sentences to decode or write after dictation using HFW.

Maybe!

Thanks Susan, appreciated. For the 20 mins of activities - Would it be appropriate for me to have the 4 HA chn in a group doing some sentence work. Perhaps rearranging words (inc taught HFWs) into sentences or possibly even writing them? Would 20 mins be too long? Would I say do 10 mins then swap to lead another group? Whilst I was leading, other chn could be practising words using the 3 activities I had set up, one could be TA supported or should the TA wander and observe for assessment?

A stupid question perhaps - but on the activities, do you explain what to do with them or let chn work it out? So if they had to pick buried HFWs out of sand and match them to something do you need to explain it before they set off or let them work it out? How child initiated does it need to be?

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)