Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using talk to connect ideas etc

Hi

Just thinking about the difference in these statements

Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking, ideas, feelings and events.(40-60)

and

Uses talk to connect ideas, explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next, recall and relive past experiences.(30-50)

If anyone can help clarify what you would be looking for ?

Thanks for your help

Hi

Just thinking about the difference in these statements

Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking, ideas, feelings and events.(40-60)

and

Uses talk to connect ideas, explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next, recall and relive past experiences.(30-50)

If anyone can help clarify what you would be looking for ?

Thanks for your help

For the first one, I'd be hearing a child talk to me about what they are doing. Telling me what will happen next - the car is going to whiz down the ramp and hit the blue box, like that one did. The next car he is going to use the bigger one and push it a bit and it might even go in the kitchen! Demonstrating anticipation and excitement.

The next statement I'd be looking for something similar, but with more detail. Explanation of why the heavy car went further. Recalling information he can remember - that last time he did it, the blue car went further than the red one. Self questioning and answering, some trial and error and possibly explanations to other children too, about how to get the car to go further

• 9 months later...

'Clarify feelings' - does it mean to reason about feeling, i.e. to talk more in-depth than to say how they feel, rather than to be reflective, i.e. to use talk to understand one's feelings, which is my understanding of 'clarify'. If so, it seems a little advanced for a 40-60 months old.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)